April 28, 2024, 01:53:04 pm

Virtual Boy Collecting

Started by NintendoKing, July 26, 2012, 12:48:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_fjs

Well my VB has had both cables soldered and is running smoothly, I pick it up tomorrow, can't wait!

I'm up to 9 games atm, pretty much just picked off all the cheap ones. :D

Galactic Pinball
Mario's Tennis
Red Alarm
T&E Virtual Golf
Teleroboxer
Tobidase! Panibon
Vertical Force
Virtual Pro Yakyuu '95
V-Tetris

Haven't had the chance to play them all yet. So far I've played Panic Bomber and Tennis, rather enjoyed Tennis. Tetris looked like fun but my wife was hogging it so I didn't get a go.

NintendoKing

Tobidase! Panibon 
V-Tetris
Mario's Tennis
Red Alarm
Vertical Force
Teleroboxer
Galactic Pinball
T&E Virtual Golf
Virtual Pro Yakyuu '95

I rearranged your games from my opinion of best to worst.

Frank_fjs

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on September 08, 2012, 07:07:36 am
I rearranged your games from my opinion of best to worst.

Thank you kind sir, I appreciate that.  :)

Not having played them all yet I can't really make a judgement, but at first glance I can say that I agree with the order of Tetris, Tennis, Golf and Baseball. Not sure I'd put Panic Bomber at the top, I've played it a bit and feel that the 3D effect doesn't seem to add anything to it so prefer playing it in colour, on the PC Engine.

Frank_fjs

September 14, 2012, 05:15:38 am #48 Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 06:04:10 am by Frank_fjs
Quick question, what are the specs of the PSU for the AC-Tap of a USA VB? I'm guessing it's the same as the PSU for the USA NES/SNES but am not 100% sure on the specs of those. Are they the typical 9V DC 1A centre negative 1A PSU?

I ask as a friend just picked one up from the USA.

Post Merge: September 14, 2012, 06:04:10 am

A painful Google search seems to indicate the the US VB uses the same PSU as a US SNES,

Specs being:

10V
850mA
Plug size 7mm x 1mm with a negative tip

Not sure about AC or DC, am guessing DC will be fine.

Is that really the plug size for a USA SNES? Man that's a weird plug.

fredJ

Why not the same the Japanese ?
Also, why do the Japanese I've had all come with the AC-Tap, and the American seem to be battery standard?
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

Frank_fjs

Why would a US VB be the same as a JP VB? I think Nintendo designed it so the VB could run from the same PSU as the Super Famicom/SNES, and both these consoles have 2 very different PSU's so there's no reason for the VB power requirements to be the same across the 2 regions.

I don't think the AC-Tap was included with the JP VB, from my understanding it was an optional accessory. Perhaps it was just a lot more common in Japan than the US. I do know that you can find the Japanese ones to buy very cheaply and easily, whereas you hardly ever see the US ones, and when you do they are rather pricey.

L___E___T

I'm pretty sure they share the same power setup.  Over here we use 240v, but 10 volts shouldn't make a difference right?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

fredJ

Oh, By The way, I have sold one of my NIB Virtual Boys I wanted to sell a while back. American. I think the other one is on its way to be picked up. There might be a third still for sale.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

egg_sanwich

I'm thinking about getting into Virtual Boy collecting. What's a fair going rate for a loose system?

Also, I came upon a few NIB games for about $10. Is that common or a rare deal? Would anyone on here be interested for ~$10? I think it was Teleroboxer, Vertical Force, Galactic Pinball, V-Tetris, and that Bomberman puzzle game...

Frank_fjs

About half of the VB games library can be had for peanuts as brand new/dead stock, it's not uncommon, there's plenty of stock around as the system/games didn't sell well. I only got my VB a few months ago and I have 9 brand new games which cost me $12 or less shipping included. :D

After that there's a few $30-$40 games and a handful of rare and stupidly expensive ones.

egg_sanwich

Good to know! But then why is the system so damn pricey!?  :o

L___E___T

It wasn't really pricey until the 3DS came along...  People are starting to realise its novelty retro value now and not just seeing it as 'that failed system' anymore.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NintendoKing

Yup, blame 3DS for the recent VB activity. I wish I got interested before 3DS, as it would have been money savings. 3DS breathed life back into VB collecting!