Famicom video RF coil repair

Started by jescis, July 31, 2012, 12:59:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jescis

:help: I think I messed up.

I tried getting a clearer picture by seperating or closing the gap between the coil on my rev. 07 famicom. But all I get now is eather snow or black & white alternating lines in different variations. I'll add pics later(currently I'm making this on an iPhone.)
Apple ][ 4 eva! both star trek and star wars are great, just not DS9 and jar jar binks is worse then a ewok hopped up on caffeine!

tonev

So have you tried tweaking the coil with a non metal object?
I am back everyone :)

jescis

Quote from: tonev on July 31, 2012, 01:27:50 am
So have you tried tweaking the coil with a non metal object?

I initially didn't. I used one of the tools from a set that can be bought from RadioShack that has two tools with brushes to clean a soldering iron.  :-\
Apple ][ 4 eva! both star trek and star wars are great, just not DS9 and jar jar binks is worse then a ewok hopped up on caffeine!

jpx72

How much "tweaking" have you been doing? Can you put it to the original position?
It's a lottery to try to repair it like that...
... ehh don't worry, make AV mod and forget about RF.
There has been a discussion not that long ago:
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=7636.0

jescis

Last time I did the av mod it didn't work. Due mostly to the schematics being wrong. I was even gonna use the avfc/sfc av connector. Also I think the one I was following was from a Japanese site.  :'(

Also can stereo be gotten from the SOU solder pad? And why no method on FW for using the other pads?

jpx72

Quote from: jescis on July 31, 2012, 02:25:34 am
Last time I did the av mod it didn't work.

Well that's because you haven't followed this:
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=8080.0

Quote from: jescis on July 31, 2012, 02:25:34 am
Also can stereo be gotten from the SOU solder pad? And why no method on FW for using the other pads?

There are ways to get some kind of pseudo-stereo by separating the individual sound channels, but I don't think it's worth it.
What do you mean by using other pads?

jescis

I mean besides the SOU solder pad there's the GND, VIDEO, CLK, and VCC solder pads on the original revision boards till rev. 07.

jpx72

Quote from: jescis on July 31, 2012, 02:39:55 am
I mean besides the SOU solder pad there's the GND, VIDEO, CLK, and VCC solder pads on the original revision boards till rev. 07.

Those are only for the test purposes, for a jailbar-free and "proper" AV mod, you have to find better spots to solder on.
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the SOU soulder pad is positioned before the external audio from cartridge mixing in, so you won't get the extra sounds from this solder pad.

jescis

Well, what about the connector that connects to the Power/RF board? You know the ones with VCC, A, V, and G .

famifan

yet another "NO RF @ NO PAIN" thread  ;D

famiac

Is it possible to mess with the rf coil to make the fami work on american tvs? I have an extra fami and a tv that doesnt have av input and only goes up to 87 or something like that. (19sv111)

famiac

jescis

August 04, 2012, 07:02:23 pm #12 Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:28:59 pm by jescis
Here's one photo of what is on my screen <-- fixed

jescis

I fixed the image. Now I think my contacts are dirty. And I need to add the cap to the ppu. >_>