Modding a NES

Started by yay, August 09, 2012, 08:45:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yay

Hey, i have an old euro NES around that i wanted to mod and then prob gift it to a friend for his birthday. I planned on cutting a triforce or something like that in the top and putting plexi glas below and then some LEDs and shit, and also spray painting the case. but i have some questions if anyone here can help me:
what's best to cut the case with? i have a dremel, but i don't know how i would get the stencil i want to cut on the case, and i don't know if a dremel might not be too powerful and would start ripping it appart when i try to cut it. also: how do you paint the controller ports, so that the controller will still fit in? like i think i can't just spray paint them, the colour would be too thick and the controller wouldnt fit anymore?

80sFREAK

DO NOT spray controller sockets!
Use can use disk for dremel for long cuts.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

yay

yeah for some reason while writing i thought the controller ports were grey and not black, so i don't even want to anyway  :-[
but figured it's not possible.

how about spraypainting the controllers? i have fairly bad experiences with spraypainting stuff that's in sweaty hands all day, any special tips for that?

jpx72

What about replacing them for Famicom controllers? ;D
Other than that, only thing that hits me is to replace the black layer (with the Nintendo logo) and replace it by something different, not painted, just cut out the shape from some thin colorful plastic :D

Oh and some Zelda inspiration:
http://www.nes-bit.com/NesBitForum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=463

80sFREAK

Quote from: yay on August 10, 2012, 03:51:16 am
yeah for some reason while writing i thought the controller ports were grey and not black, so i don't even want to anyway  :-[
but figured it's not possible.

how about spraypainting the controllers? i have fairly bad experiences with spraypainting stuff that's in sweaty hands all day, any special tips for that?
Nothing wrong, just a bit tricky to prepare and you will need few coats of high-gloss acrylic on top
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

yay

cut a square window into the top with my dremel, looks like shit still but nothign some sandpaper can't handle.