Rewriting FDS Disks, beginner questions...

Started by Feel, August 16, 2012, 04:45:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Feel

Hello.

I'm gonna start rewriting some disks soon and I have several questions.

I've heard that roms have to be from a specific dump then patched with some kind of Hex program. But I can't seem to find more info on that. How do i check if a rom is a good dump and then, when it is, what do I use and how to patch it?

I've seen the tutorials on this website to write disks using FDSLoadr and a disk like Disk Keeper. Is Disk keeper necessary or can I do it directly from the computer using an image of, let's say, Disk Hacker 2? Because a friend of mine tells me he did it without using an external disk and just with Disk Hacker 2 via his computer. But the thing did not work when we tried together.

Also, how do I use FDSLoadr to write myself a copy of Disk Keeper or Disk Hacker 2 ? And which is better?

These are my first questions, I may have more once i've started but for now this is what i'd like to understand.

Thanks for the help!

80sFREAK

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Feel

I have found some answers via Google but there are still some dark areas, like what is the correct header for a FDS rom? Is it always the same? I found that the one for Almana no kiseki for example is "46 44 53 1A  02 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00"...

I know it may sound dumb for anyone who understands that easily but it's not my case.

So any help would be good.

ericj

The complete header has to be there for the image to load in FDSLoader, and for the most part it is exactly the same, except that the 5th set of numbers denotes the number of disk sides: 01 for a single-sided game and 02 for a two-sided game.

46 44 53 1A  02 00 00...

Feel

Thanks!

So I just have to add that header to each rom in order to make them work when I write them on disks? Nothing else?