Famicom Disk System error 2

Started by ulera, August 15, 2012, 11:50:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ulera

So I finally got a game in the mail for my FDS system, I load in my C batteries and I fire it up... and all I get is error 2. I can actually hear the FDS make noises like it's trying to read the disk so I'm more inclined to think this is a belt slipping error then a battery error. How do I fix this?

ulera

They're brand new. I bought them just today.

ulera

Yeah. It said error 2 means no disk power supply. I have six brand new batteries in though. According to another thread in this forum it said error two could possibly be caused by a belt slipping. Any chance it could have gotten bumped out of place during shipping?

ulera

I'm not at home right now, but these are exactly what I bought:

ulera

Well that's $11 down the drain. What brand would you recommend?

Frank_fjs

You don't have a PSU you can use?

GohanX

Rayovak Alkalines are fine, but the "Heavy Duty" and the like are gutter trash. I suspect one or more of the batteries are just bad, maybe they were on the shelf too long.

Any non-dollar store alkaline should be fine, I got some at Fuji alkalines at Big Lots for $6 total for mine.

ulera

Quote from: GohanX on August 15, 2012, 05:22:43 pm
Rayovak Alkalines are fine, but the "Heavy Duty" and the like are gutter trash. I suspect one or more of the batteries are just bad, maybe they were on the shelf too long.

Any non-dollar store alkaline should be fine, I got some at Fuji alkalines at Big Lots for $6 total for mine.

Hopefully they'll take then back at walmart.

I MAY have a psu i can use, how many mah can a disk unit safely take?

Frank_fjs

Quote from: ulera on August 15, 2012, 05:43:33 pm
I MAY have a psu i can use, how many mah can a disk unit safely take?

Doesn't matter about mAh, it will only take what it needs. All you need is a PSU that's 9V or 10V with the right sized plug with a negative tip. A Famicom, Mega Drive 1 PSU etc will work fine.

ulera

Well... the only ac adapter I have is the one that came with my famicom an its rated too low for US outlets. So should I try my luck with batteries again or buy a psu?

ericj

If you're in the US, a Japanese 100V AC adapter should work fine. What are the specs on it?

Frank_fjs

A Japanese Famicom PSU will work fine in the US.

ulera

Are you sure? Because in the adapter thread it said it may get damaged over time.

Frank_fjs

Load of rubbish, it will be fine. The power from your wall is not at a set voltage and will fluctuate by 20-30 volts either way, appliances are not as sensitive to voltage as people often assume.

In any event, if you are still concerned, don't use it on a long term basis, just use it for the sake of quickly testing your FDS out. I guarantee you it will not be damaged, and if it is I will buy you another one. :)

ulera

So I tried my famicom ac adapter... it still gave me error no 2. I swapped it for my third party adapter running my av famicom and now they both work. Any ideas why the famicom psu wouldn't work on it?