So.. 3DS is after all better than PSV?

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, August 18, 2012, 06:28:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomRetroGamer

Before PS Vita came out I thought it was going to be a day one success but it turns out Sony isn't doing too well and the catalogue of games aren't that many or that I like too much.

Nintendo really knows how to get the gamers by the balls.. New Super Mario Bros 2. ;D

manuel

It's all about the games. And it seems to me Nintendo just knows better what people want in a handheld console.

I for example value the clamshell design very highly. When I play and I have to stop abruptly, I can just close it and the game goes into sleep.
With the Vita and other devices you have to press a button or something.
It's just a small difference, but for me it's crucial.

petik1

Plus, the system protects its own screen.

Ever since the GameBoy, nintendo has proven that you don't need the best hardware to make the best games. Keep it simple, and the public will love it. I remember when 3ds eulogies were being made, I saw a comment that in one year we'd be talking about how it prints money. And they were right. PsVita on the other hand...

Frank_fjs

I agree with the above comments, although I don't know how it is everywhere else, but here in Australia Nintendo's latest reported earnings were rather poor. This works out well in one sense though, as they are clearing out Wii's at bargain prices, presumably to make room for the Wii U.

GohanX

I play my Vita more often than my 3DS, but the Vita has nothing as good as Super Mario 3D Land.

DerZocker

I knew that Smear-Station thingy would never catch on ;D

L___E___T

When a Virtual Boy or Special edition 3DS XL comes out I'm picking one up for sure.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

FamicomRetroGamer

People or let's say, Sony fanboys just look more around PS Vita technical hardware details not so much for the catalogue of games.

I guess I have to agree with Nintendo fanboys from YouTube "we play games for games not for graphics!".

Anywho, if the next gen consoles are all digital-only (Wii U seems to be using some sort of a DVD disc) I'll probably not even bother getting them, heck, I should try to buy the retro consoles I sold back in 2009/2010 because they're for sure a lot better than today's consoles!

manuel

Well, if people value good graphics more than good games... it's their loss.
(This is not to say that good games can't have good graphics... But focusing only on graphics isn't the right way imo.)

People nowadays still play and love Super Mario Bros. from over 25 years ago. Graphics are crap by today's standards, but it's fun. In the end that's all that counts.

As for digital only... if that happens, I'll probably stop there and only play old stuff.

L___E___T

Every handheld generation has shown the power doesn't equal success.  People have home consoles for awesome graphics, handhelds are all about fun and viability.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

MasterDisk

Also the Vita includes too many useless functionalities that people will never use. Sony tryed to make the vita smartphone-like but in the end it was a bad idea.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: MasterDisk on August 19, 2012, 08:17:30 am
Also the Vita includes too many useless functionalities that people will never use. Sony tryed to make the vita smartphone-like but in the end it was a bad idea.

I've never been a big fan, or even a fan of touchscreen, but the rear of the PS Vita requiring to touch to make the games' act isn't really my taste. I prefer games to just be simple, the buttons and d-pad/analogue sticks and nothing else.

3DS has touchscreen but it's a pretty simple one that shows the games' data. Can't really hate on it.

ulera

You know what I would like to see? Nintendo and Google making a hybrid system in the same style as Sharp/Nintendo and Panasonic/Nintendo have done in the past to get me a 3DS with android. I would use the crap out of that thing. Nintendo gaming and smart phone practicality all in one, not gonna happen though.

DerZocker

Let's face it, even the GameGear laughs about the Vita, together with the PSP.
And  normally the GG laughs about the PSP*g
But really, I can see that 90% of the games will come out as generic and unmemorable or with uncomfortable finger twisting tacked on. Even now there aren't that many incredible killer-apps for the PSP, in fact that's the reason why I mostly used mine for MD and PCE games besides Maverick Hunter X and Gradius Collection.
Another point is, with Nintendo you'll now they'll deliver, even if you have to wait some time, but just look at Kid Icarus Uprising or SMG1&2.
With Sony there's hardly this confidence and well, I don't remember wanting any Sony console for some Sony game^^
Anybody understand what I mean?

petik1

Sony itself isn't a strong gaming brand. No one goes out and says "I want to buy a Sony game!". They're usually talking about a third party game. But people do with nintendo.