So.. 3DS is after all better than PSV?

Started by FamicomRetroGamer, August 18, 2012, 06:28:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

petik1

Even if the Wii U bombs, nintendo definitely has enough money to pump out a new console. Sega did, and even though the dreamcast was demolished, it was a hell of a console.

L___E___T

Yes, but enough for one more after that?...  That's my worry.  3DS is doing ok now but it's no bankroll.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

ulera

Quote from: ulera on August 23, 2012, 06:04:13 am
You should look up a product called a splitfish. It's basically a gaming mouse for the ps3. I never could play a fps game without one.

I never understood how one can play real-time or action games with a mouse. I guess I'm just grown up playing consoles.
[/quote]

I only use it for fps games. Dual analog is better for everything else.

I'm very concerned about the wii I'd success,  Nintendo seems to be trying to appeal to casuals and hardcore, but I think the casuals are just gonna stick with their wii andI'd not upgrades. This meansa nintendo is only gonna reach 50% of their target audience and the hardcores are gonna suffer due to nintendos misguided approach.

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: L___E___T on August 23, 2012, 11:12:47 am
I think Nintendo excelled at the type of games people loved in the Nintendo Age (NES, SNES), then those folks grew up and Sony excelled at offering the types of games they wanted in the Playstation era (PS1, PS2).  Now Microsoft excel at offering the right games in this period, because those folks that grew up with Nintendo now enoy console and PC gaming, but they've also captured most of the gamers to come along since.  PS3 doesn't have a great deal of exclsuives in my opinion, while 360 does.  It has good ports and some loyal customers, but it hasn't hit the same successes that Microsoft has in originality.

Facebook, Steam and Apple provide a platform for smaller developers to clean up with everyone else.

My question is - who will rule next gen?  Ouya?  Apple?  Google?  I don't think it's a case of just Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft anymore.  
No-one really thinks of the three giants in China either in all this.  They should.  Sorry if this is OT but this thread is basically a console wars fanboy service argument anyway (which is fine), so I figured WTH.

My main point is - no one's REALLY looking at the future and at what kinds of games will be wanted.  They're just looking at where their previous succeses were and trying to replicate them.
This is especially true with the WiiU and ironically Nintendo are cloning their Wii success objectives, not cloning their Wii success strategy.  The world has changed I think and I don't think they've looked at what's needed in the right way.  I just hope I'm wrong on this one and they turn it around.

If cloud gaming is what we're heading, I take it OnLive's the best at it.

Xbox 360 has an excellent catalogue of games, not just the retail games but also the digital games, Trials Evolution is epic awesome! Joe Danger might be the closest thing to Trials Evolution on PS3, still it's a very different bike game.

By the way, Sony's Super Smash Bros obvious clone was rather disappointing, but in a way they're trying to gain Nintendo gamers but there's already a lot of hate for it due to the being copycats.

P

Being a copycat might be good but in this case it's just poorly done. I don't think it'll work out.

Quote from: L___E___T on August 23, 2012, 11:12:47 am
I think Nintendo excelled at the type of games people loved in the Nintendo Age (NES, SNES), then those folks grew up and Sony excelled at offering the types of games they wanted in the Playstation era (PS1, PS2).  Now Microsoft excel at offering the right games in this period, because those folks that grew up with Nintendo now enoy console and PC gaming, but they've also captured most of the gamers to come along since.

I'd like to add that Sony managed to get companies continue their strong franchises (many which started on Nintendo systems) on their systems to make a strong ground for developing new games on. So it's not only a matter of making different games that now grownup players wanted but also to continue make and further develop the same kind of games from before. That's where they surpassed Nintendo. The games makes the console after all.

Quote from: ulera on August 23, 2012, 12:40:08 pm
I'm very concerned about the wii I'd success,  Nintendo seems to be trying to appeal to casuals and hardcore, but I think the casuals are just gonna stick with their wii andI'd not upgrades. This meansa nintendo is only gonna reach 50% of their target audience and the hardcores are gonna suffer due to nintendos misguided approach.

That's probably the Wii's biggest weakness. They managed to appeal to large audience that Sony and Microsoft haven't reached and which could potentially increase the intrest in gaming among people. But it's a fickle audience that doesn't buy as many games. I wonder if it'll work out again.

nintendodork

Quote from: P on August 23, 2012, 05:02:28 pm
Sony managed to get companies continue their strong franchises (many which started on Nintendo systems)
Such as?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

P

Such as Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Metal Gear as I already mentioned. But also Megaman, Castlevania, Puyo Puyo, various sports series (such as FIFA), Street Fighter and well Koei's games to name a few. Also many new franchises like Resident Evil and Monster Hunter started on Sony's consoles.

Final Fantasy VII was the first FF game in the main series to reach Europe and it's good reputation and big hype led it to be the introduction to RPGs for many people that didn't import. It served a huge role in making Japanese RPGs as popular as they are today outside Japan.

nintendodork

Oh wow, yeah I guess you're right. I feel stupid for asking that question. :P
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

P

Don't be.  :) I noticed that you are very young for a Famicom enthusiast (which is amazing) so it's not strange at all that you don't remember these times.

MasterDisk

August 24, 2012, 03:42:42 pm #39 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:48:57 pm by MasterDisk
Metal Gear started on MSX. MegaMan went on others consoles for more monies (it's Capcom), Fifa same, SF was not a Nintendo game at first.

ulera

Not to mention the creators of metal gear had nothing to do with the nintendo version.

P

Quote from: MasterDisk on August 24, 2012, 03:42:42 pm
Metal Gear started on MSX. MegaMan went on others consoles for more monies (it's Capcom), Fifa same, SF was not a Nintendo game at first.

Yes. Sorry if it sounded like they where all Nintendo games. I just listed various big franchises that helped making Sony's consoles successful.

Quote from: MasterDisk on August 24, 2012, 03:42:42 pm
MegaMan went on others consoles.

True. Megaman, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Castlevania and many other series that started on the Famicom got ports to other systems as well.

Quote from: ulera on August 24, 2012, 04:08:19 pm
Not to mention the creators of metal gear had nothing to do with the nintendo version.

Yeah the only things good with the Famicom version is the new music tracks (but the MSX music is maybe better), I heard it didn't even have Metal Gear in it! I prefer the orginal MSX version myself.

L___E___T

Just bear in mind that at that time Konami made the MSX call.  Kojima himself really wanted to work with famicom - but it wasn't an option afforded to him because of internal polictics.  
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

JohnnyBlaze

The Vita is good. But, there are no games for it. I bought pretty much all of the good titles released so far(with a couple exceptions I got rid of a while back), most of them from launch. I bought the First Edition Bundle from February. I played it up until around April at which time I pretty much stopped using it and it collected dust. Then, I didn't play it again until June when I got Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. After that, I stopped playing it. That's why I sold it to get my Famicom/Disk System lot. It is good and has a lot of potential, but with very few good titles available with that replay value, it's just going to collect dust. I thought that the Vita was going to make me stop playing my 3DS, but it didn't. The 3DS has games with real replay value while the PS Vita uses the same games like you'd find on the consoles. That's actually a BAD thing because the handhelds need to have games that continually make you want to play. You play on the handhelds generally more than the home consoles, so they really need to keep the console games on the consoles and keep the games with heavy replay value on the handhelds.

So, with all that being said, you will get a better experience from a 3DS than you will a Vita at this point.
Famicom Disk System: The More You Play It, the More You'll Want to Play

FamicomRetroGamer

Quote from: JohnnyBlaze on August 26, 2012, 04:41:47 pmThen, I didn't play it again until June when I got Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

Let me ask you this, how is Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PS Vita in HD? PS Vita isn't in HD..

Isn't this false advertisement done by Sony?

PS Vita's resolution is 960x544 but it's not even 720p 4:3, however, it's close but let's be honest, it ain't an HD resolution.