Famicom Disk System Issue(Videos Added)

Started by JohnnyBlaze, August 29, 2012, 01:14:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyBlaze

August 29, 2012, 01:14:31 pm Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 05:30:49 pm by JohnnyBlaze
I got my stuff in from 80sFreak today and everything seems in order. Except for an issue that I cannot seem to pinpoint. I set everything up as normal and Zelda seemed to work fine. But, when I popped in my copy of Mario 2, he had a block for a leg. Reset, same thing. After a couple of reboots, it finally worked. But, after a while, I'd still see some graphical glitches. I thought it may be that I'm running the system on cheap batteries, so I took them out and used the AC Adapter. Same thing. I took the RAM adapter out, and put it back in. It worked fine then, but after a couple of reboots, same thing. Same for my copy of Pro Wrestling. You'd go to the wrestler select screen and my player would have no upper body. Same steps as above eventually it worked. But, my copies of Zelda 2, Metroid, Nazo No Murasame, and Zelda seem to work fine. Although, my wife claimed that she saw a small glitch when Samus was falling down, but it's a brand new disk, so I doubt it. I didn't see it and I played it for 20 minutes straight. All I saw was the same glitches and slowdown as you would on an NES cart of it.

I know Mario 2 and Pro Wrestling are single sided and the others are double sided, but there is nothing on the other side of the problem discs, so they've never been re-written. I tried all the carts that I got with the system and they work fine, so I don't think it's the system.

What exactly is it?

Videos added. The first one is something I saw on the BIOS that I also saw in a cart, but I don't know if that's a problem. But the Pro Wrestling and Super Mario Bros. 2, I know ARE real problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44664017@N05/7909716418/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44664017@N05/7909749160/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86344528@N05/7909832622/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86344528@N05/7909839190/
Famicom Disk System: The More You Play It, the More You'll Want to Play

HokusaiXL

Sounds like you need to clean the cart slot and the pins on the ram adapter.  Seems like the games themselves are running fine.
I don't know how to fox. D:

JohnnyBlaze

He said that everything was clean before it came here, so I don't know if that's it.

HokusaiXL

That doesn't mean the cart slot on your fami is clean.   Still, give it a try, it's not like it'll hurt the systems.

JohnnyBlaze

I think both were. But, how would I go about doing that anyways? A Q-Tip with alcohol like the NES right?

HokusaiXL

Yeah, and an emery board or paper board based finger nail file to clean the cart slot it's self.

ericj

It definitely isn't a problem with the disks, but rather the cart connector/RAM adapter connection.

JohnnyBlaze

I did just try using a Q-Tip with some alcohol. No luck. Same as before. It did have some black shit on the Q-Tip, but not that much. Do you think it could be a bad RAM adapter or disk going bad? I don't have a Disk Checker here to tell.

ulera

You live in us? If you ship your ram adapter to me I can test it with my setup.

JohnnyBlaze

August 29, 2012, 02:33:04 pm #9 Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:56:09 pm by JohnnyBlaze
Yes I do. How much would it cost to ship? I'm sort of low on funds as this lot blew my money out of the water.

Post Merge: August 29, 2012, 02:56:09 pm

Just found this:

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=5590.0;wap2

This is basically my problem except my RAM Adapter is clean. Think I might have a bad disk? If so, could it be re-written?

ulera

If you can fit it in a flat rate box probably $5

JohnnyBlaze

So, ten round trip, right? I'm trying to figure it out from here first. It doesn't seem to glitch with anything other than Mario 2 or Pro Wrestling.

80sFREAK

August 29, 2012, 03:55:45 pm #12 Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:15:45 pm by 80sFREAK
Hmmm... it's kinda strange. so official disks working fine, but re-written?
1)all games, that came with Famicom working fine, so cart slot in Famicom is fine
2)boot up screen on FDS...
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

JohnnyBlaze

No. Those are official. I bought them from eBay and they were complete with booklet, outer box, and everything.

80sFREAK

Based on your answers, it is not a problem of slot/RAM adapter/red box, but most likely "weird disks".

Post Merge: August 29, 2012, 04:26:53 pm

Quote from: ericj on August 29, 2012, 01:51:31 pm
It definitely isn't a problem with the disks, but rather the cart connector/RAM adapter connection.
That said a person who rewriting disks :) Oh, man...
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy