Famicom Problem

Started by JohnnyBlaze, September 01, 2012, 04:22:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyBlaze

So, I decided to sit down for about an hour or so with my new Famicom. All seems to be well until I saw this thing every so often(twice in two uses which totaled about two hours) where the screen would turn black for a few seconds with a white line(like when an old TV dies out or turns off) and then comes back on like I just changed a channel or something. The Famicom doesn't lose power or nothing. It's the video that goes out.

I'm using Channel 96, Famicom Channel set to 2, using NES RF Switch, and Famicom AC Adapter. I didn't play carts during this time. Just Zelda 1 and 2. What could be the cause? I'm guessing the RF Switch, but considering my trouble with the two games for the disk system, could it be a bigger problem than just a RF switch?
Famicom Disk System: The More You Play It, the More You'll Want to Play

JohnnyBlaze

Yeah. I'm using my HDTV. Haven't had a problem with anything else. Hell, I didn't even use my RF but a few times and it worked every time.

JohnnyBlaze

Randomly. I took some video also of the other problem I was having. I'll put them in another thread.

ericj

Could also be interference from something else near your house or TV that's causing the problem.

JohnnyBlaze

Also, I shot these as well. This is the disk system trouble I was referring to as well as something I saw on the BIOS and Mario 3 cart that I don't know if that's classified a problem or not.\

The first one is something I saw on the BIOS that I also saw in a cart, but I don't know if that's a problem. But the Pro Wrestling and Super Mario Bros. 2, I know ARE real problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44664017@N05/7909716418/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44664017@N05/7909749160/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86344528@N05/7909832622/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/86344528@N05/7909839190/

HokusaiXL

Mario 3 does that regardless, it's the game not your system.  It even does that emulated and on virtual console ports.
I don't know how to fox. D:

JohnnyBlaze

Okay, so that's not a problem. What about Mario 2 and Pro Wrestling?

HokusaiXL

That I honestly couldn't tell you.  My Mario 2 doesn't do it and I don't have Pro Wrestling to test.
I don't know how to fox. D:

JohnnyBlaze

That's how it is for Mario 2 period on there, camera pointing at screen or not. It's that giant square block where his leg is supposed to be. At one time, I had a Twin Famicom and a NEW copy of Mario 2 and it NEVER did that.

JohnnyBlaze

So it would still be the case even though it works without error once in a blue moon? Also, couldn't it be a case of lost magnetism?

ericj

If it works without error once and a while, then the disk is probably fine. Could be a dirty spot on the disk or more likely that the RAM adapter needs slightly repositioned. Have you tried gently tapping the RAM adapter when you see the problem (not enough to freeze the game) to see if the sprites "fix" themselves during gameplay?

JohnnyBlaze

ericj

With your finger--gently tap the top of the RAM adapter.

ericj

Quote from: 80sFREAK on September 02, 2012, 03:42:07 pm
Why other games are fine?

Magic.  ::)

Basic troubleshooting instead of speculation never hurt, did it? I don't see why it's a bad idea to try, but if you can give a good reason, I'm all ears.  ;)

famifan

Quote from: 80sFREAK on September 02, 2012, 10:15:44 pm
Found adaptor with the same similar glitch in graphics - blinking sprites in the bodies of wrestlers. It is not related to contacts of slot.

do you know where the root of problem lays?
bad RAM?

what about replacing RAM on RAM-adapter with SRAM? is it possible to perform this without a lot of love and grey hair?