Good ways to tell if a model one genesis is working at a glance?

Started by ulera, October 10, 2012, 04:40:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ulera

Went to a thrift store today and found a dirt cheap original genesis. Only problem is it doesn't come with a video cable, nor does the store have a TV currently for sale they could test it on if they did. I was thinking of showing up tomorrow with a copy of sonic the hedgehog and a pair of headphones, since the original system had a 3.5mm jack I though it would be a good way to hear if the game is actually loading. I'm not TOO famalier with sega systems, is there any unforeseen problems that would only become apparent once I brought it home, hooked it up and got stuck with it?

ulera

The thrift store is pretty much between my house and my school, so I'm not really burning gas I wouldn't be burning anyway lol. I'll stop in tomorrow and check it out.

petik1

These things don't just *break*. They actually built these things to last back then. It works, I don't doubt it.

ulera

Quote from: petik1 on October 10, 2012, 05:27:11 pm
These things don't just *break*. They actually built these things to last back then. It works, I don't doubt it.

Not necessarily. I bought a Genesis from a garage sale once that would power on but refuse to boot despite all cleaning efforts. Wound up gutting it thinking I could use the case for some sort of project. Still haven't decided what sort of project though.

Epic_Lotus

You're probably ok.  I bought a model 1 at a thrift store, and while the AV port was loose (probably could've been soldered if I'd cared enough), it still worked.  As the others said, for $5, it's worth a shot.

ulera

It's actually $10, but for my area that's a good price. Plus it comes with two controllers. (They are off brand, but look nearly identical to the main brand with the addition of turbo fire)

garyptaszek

I'd offer them $5 as it doesn't have original leads and controllers.
"GameCentre CX Chief ON!"

GohanX

Chances are it works, if it's cheap I'd say go for it. If it doesn't work when you get home I could use a parts system :)

Lum

I'd try it for the huge upgrade potential. They're packed with everything. RGB, region jumpers...
*bzzzt*

garyptaszek

"GameCentre CX Chief ON!"