Japanese Super Famicom PSU - clearing up a possible misconception

Started by Frank_fjs, October 11, 2012, 09:40:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_fjs

FACT: In Australia (and other countries) the official Super Nintendo PSU outputs an AC signal.

FACT: Despite the Australian Super Nintendo PSU having a slightly different plug with a larger inner diameter, it still fits snugly into a Japanese Super Famicom.

MISCONCEPTION: Using an Australian Super Nintendo PSU in a Japanese Super Famicom will fry it due to the AC output.

FACT: Using an Australian Super Nintendo PSU in a Japanese Super Famicom WORKS FINE!

I know that you can't do the same thing with a regular Famicom, as it certainly can't handle an AC signal and I always believed the same to be true re the Super Famicom, however someone I know told me that you could indeed use an Aussie SNES PSU with the S-Fami and I've seen it first hand, an Aussie SNES PSU does indeed fit into and power a Super Famicom without issue.

I always thought that the Super Famicom could only accept a DC signal (as many people suggest) however clearly that information is inaccurate. Any of the techs here care to clarify?

80sFREAK

Easy. There is a bridge, right next to the power jack. Need photo?
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Frank_fjs

Photo would be good, only if you have the time. :)

Could you elaborate a little on 'bridge' please?

Also, have just been informed that whilst the AC adapter does work fine, SuperFX chip games like Star Fox do not work and need the DC adapter.

80sFREAK

Oops, not the bridge, just diode

You can see smd component at "7 o'clock" from filtering capacitor. It's working like protection or half-period rectifier, when you power SFC with AC. StarFox draining more current, so it's not working due to low efficiency of half period rectifier.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Frank_fjs