BEST Famicom portable system?

Started by RGB_Gamer, November 27, 2012, 10:23:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RGB_Gamer

With Krikzz (The guy responsible for the Everdrive flash carts) announcing that a Famicom flash cart is in the works, I have been interested in getting a portable Famicom.

Can anyone recommend a good Famicom portable?

GohanX

I can't help you with portable Famis, but you might want to wait until the cart comes out to see if it will work in them first. I don't think the Genesis Everdrive will work in any of the Genesis clone portables, although it will work fine in an official Nomad.

satoshi_matrix

that's an oxymoron - there is no such thing as a "best" portable Famiclone. Every single one on the market is "okay" at best. It is unlikely the upcoming everdrive will work with clones any more than the NES Powerpak does. FPGA and NOACs do not go together.

If you want a portable Famicom that IS good, buy yourself any model of the original PSP, mod it, and run the latest build of NESTERJ. This is an absolutely flawless emulator that will run circles around any of the portable Famiclones on the market.

I'm not normally one to suggest emulation rather than original hardware. In any case where possible, I prefer original hardware. The unfortunate fact is though that all on the Famiclones I've used or read about pale in comparison. Save your money and your frustration and just get a PSP 3000, a memory stick of at least 512MB and preform the extremely simple 6.60 exploit.

L___E___T

I'm totally with you on that, the PSP is miles ahead of any portable clone I've played.  Only downer for me is the inherent save states and motion blur on some games.  Classic Nintendo games like Donkey Kong or Balloon Fight look incredible though.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

satoshi_matrix

I've been considering writing detailed reviews of the PSP's emulators on my blog, but I don't want to directly encourage piracy. That said, I use my white PSP 3000 and a 8 GB memory stick to store nothing but my emulators.

In particular, the NESTERJ emulator for PSP supports the following

-ADHOC Netplay
-Various screen resolutions, including pixel-for-pixel, full screen in the original aspect ratio or full screen 16:9 screeched to the PSP's native resolution.
-Custom button mappings, including mappable turbo fire
-9 slots for Save States for every game
-Automatic SRAM save backup
-Absolute Flawless emulation
-Supports 99% of ALL mappers. There are only a small handful of dumped Chinese games that won't play, most of which are multicarts and NOT the standalone roms. It will play every mapper for non-pirate games.   
-Allows the player to save a screenshot at any point. This feature is invaluable for me as both an avid Sprite artist and a retro blogger. Without this function, adding the screenshots to my top 100 NES/Famicom game list would not be possible.

As L_E_T says, NES games look incredible on the PSP. The System's native RGB-ish resolution is lightyears cleaner and better than any NOAC handheld, and despite what he said, there is no issue with screen blurring. Perhaps L_E_T is using an older build or a PSP 1000.

L___E___T

November 30, 2012, 02:28:52 am #5 Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:34:27 am by L___E___T
I've only found screen blurring a major issue on darker games.  Most NES games are fine, but if you play some dark 16-bit games they can be really hard to see all the detail, like Gargoyles on Megadrive, that's the worst I found.

On most NES games this isn't an issue at all but on some shooters I notice it.  I think I have the same PSP as you, might be a 2000.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。