NES Powerpak vs (any famicom flash cart)

Started by sconley666, March 17, 2013, 02:31:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sconley666

I have heard around the grape vine that there is a famicom flash cart or two but has anyone had any experience with one?  If so how does it compare mapper compatibility wise with the powerpak.  I have noticed there are a few games that the powerpak wont run even with all the extras like savestate mappers and mmc5 mappers and such. 
Also sconley666 on NintendoAge

Tricky

Powerpak, with third party mappers, is pretty beasty. Krikzz's Everdrive N8 has, if not surpassed, at leats met the Powerpak in terms of functionality, and is still in active development, so set to overtake it soon. Can't say much about Ram Factory's InviteNES besides what I've read/heard, but it seems a solid piece of hardware, nothing really wrong with it, but slightly more pricey and for now worse cmaptibility than the other two. It and the N* both work with clone systems, while the Powerpak isn't advertised to. I believe Loopy wrote a 'half' MMC5 for the Powerpak which is enough for Castlevania III to work as it only uses some of the mapper's functionality. 80sFREAK has been researching and designing his own cart, too, thoughit seems he's stopped working on it for the time being.

XiTaU

both are really good and compatible pieces of hardware if you want savestates and native nes support i would go for the powerpak. If you like to use sd and have a cart with development still in progress and have a famicom id go for the n8.

L___E___T

I have both and would recommend the Everdrive N8 over the Powerpak in a flash (geddit?).  Everdrive has extra audio support for the VRC6 as well. 
If you mostly use a NES, I'd say Powerpak makes more sense but I definitely prefer the Everdrive, my Powerpak no longer gets used.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

chazbc24

L___E___T

I haven't checked it out actually, I always thought the Powerpak's was a bit archaic, maybe I'm used to better media players.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

chazbc24

L___E___T

It didn't work when I tried, hopefully it gets added soon but I don't think it's there now unless I did something wrong or used a bad NSF :(
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

chazbc24

The nsf support may be archaic, but being able to play nsfs on original hardware is what sold me. I use a modified converter to access external sound channels.

One more examle/shameless promotion.

http://puzzleboys.bandcamp.com/album/veganvox

chazbc24

Uhhh once again all you need is a modified converter and the soumd mix is perfect. This is comming from a guy who sold his av famicom because of the external chip mix problems.

Powerpak owns

L___E___T

I noticed that Akumajou Densetsu doesn't have truly correct sound on Everdrive compared to the real cart.  
FDS seems fine but I dont have a FDS to compare against.

I thnk if you mainly use a Famicom, get an Everdrive, if you mainly use a NES, get a Powerpak.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

lobdale

The FDS sound on Everdrive is also a little weird compared to the real thing.  It's a good enough approximation though.

The thing that sold Everdrive for me over PowerPak is obvious... it's for Famicom!  The powerpack uses a gigantic board with CF cards and if you want to use that on a Famicom you also need a converter and some sound mods and then the thing sticks outta your Fami as high as a DVD case or something.  The Everdrive is small and compact and made for Famicom, which is great because Famicom is how I roll.

Jedi Master Baiter

March 27, 2013, 05:50:01 pm #12 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:25:55 pm by Jedi QuestMaster
Quote from: lobdale on March 27, 2013, 03:52:07 pm
The FDS sound on Everdrive is also a little weird compared to the real thing.  It's a good enough approximation though.

I'm not buying another flashcart unless expansion sound is emulated 99.99999999999999999999999998%

What may be good for a layman isn't necessarily okay for another layman. :diskkun: Hahahahai'msostupid! ;D

famifan

Quote from: L___E___T on March 24, 2013, 09:54:14 am
I noticed that Akumajou Densetsu doesn't have truly correct sound on Everdrive compared to the real cart.  

it depends on how did you compare them. Recording samples is the only right way to do that.

sconley666

Quote from: famifan on March 27, 2013, 10:34:26 pm
Quote from: L___E___T on March 24, 2013, 09:54:14 am

it depends on how did you compare them. Recording samples is the only right way to do that.

I agree with this.   The powerpak is great and i like mine a lot, but at the end of the day having it just sticking WAY out of the famicom with the convertor added it it is just almost too much.  The size difference is a huge issue for me.  The smaller form factor is just alot more desirable.  I would love to see the everdrive work and be more compatible overall than the powerpak.
I would also like to know/see the menu differences between the powerpak and the everdrive.  The powerpak seems like it could really be expanded upon in that area.
Also sconley666 on NintendoAge