Just got a square button famicom

Started by mbannick, March 21, 2013, 01:01:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mbannick

So I ended up winning a square button famicom from ebay for a cool $7.50 and got it in the mail a few days ago. The system is pretty rough (there is a crack in the front of the case and another by the eject slider) the case is pretty much dark yellow and the player one controller has been swapped for a round button type. Now I'm looking to clean it up and maybe find a square button controller for the player 1 side. The player 2 controller is in pretty good shape and the bottom is nice and shiny. After opening it I found it was a revision 4 board and it has the blue cartridge connector. Would it be worthwhile to retrobright the shell (the cracks are very fine and look like they may glue back together without looking terrible) and look for a replacement controller? Or should I just leave it as is? I know there is probably little chance of finding a loose square button controller but I'm willing to look for one.

mbannick

Also, it seems the disk system I own wont boot on this famicom. Everything else seems to work though. Is there a list of things that don't work on the square button famicom?

80sFREAK

1) You can retrobright it
2) What's the chips revision?
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

mbannick

The board should be a revision 4. Should I cover the famicom plate and the av plate on the back with tape? I heard some of them loose their color when they are exposed to hydrogen peroxide. Also, I'm looking for the 1st player controller since it was swapped for a round button controller. Would it just be easier to find a broken unit?

Rosser

Remove it I did on mine go around the whole label with exacto blade carefully before you try and get it off

If you don't remove it it will get trashed the hydro p will eat the gold from the label 

you may want to just dye the case with vinyl dye retr0bright  does only a so so job it works better on the Snes and SFC

mbannick

Did you use the paste or did you just submerge it in the liquid? It seems that just letting it soak in the liquid will produce more even results. Also, I think it works better if you give it several treatments over a few days. The guy that did his fami didn't cover up anything and only had the red part of the label fade slightly (I wonder if his still had the plastic cover over it?). I'll have to do a few practice runs on my old ugly snes shell thats broken to see how it turns out. The only thing about hydrogen peroxide is it will bleach the plastic so grey plastic will come out light grey to whitish. Since the famicom is white I dont really see a problem with retro brighting it. Also, where can I find some vector images of the power and reset buttons?

Rosser

March 27, 2013, 05:34:32 pm #6 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:41:00 pm by Rosser
I've done  both methods on a couple of famicom's its more about the type of plastic used

I mean if you want it white-ish its fine

Post Merge: March 27, 2013, 05:40:09 pm

also its really simple to remove the front label so there's no need to risk it its decently thick and easy to reapply
This is after retr0briting and was covered it also had the clear sticker still on it