April 23, 2024, 05:26:09 am

Finds (All Others)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:11:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

djdac

manuel

How do you like your new DSi?

L___E___T

I don't have a picture, but my friend/colleague bought a fresh UK DSi on Friday, so I bought his nice 2 month old Japanese white one for..  £50, that's only $75! 

Ok so I can't play any DSi carts yet but seeing as there aint any I'll manage - it might be useful for when/if I can unlock it or if there's a really great piece of Japanese downloadable software I can put on it or something.

Failing that I might mod it / paint it or plain just play DQ5 on it.  I've still got my regular DS lite for homebrew etc.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nintendodork

Quote from: djdac on April 05, 2009, 03:20:57 am
;D

[picture]
I don't have a working DS lite right now, do you think it would be worth it to get a DSi?  Or should I get another DS lite?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

L___E___T

I would say it all depends on what you use it for.  If you buy games legally and are a nice person who only uses it for that, get a DSi, if you buy games legally but also like playing gameboy games on emulators etc and other homebrew (like me) then get a regular used DS lite and take advantage of the amount of trade ins appearing at present.  If you want a DS to keep playing pirated games on an R4 card or similar device, they won't work on a DSi and although one will pop up sooner or later it's not really a valid option right now.

I think the downloadable software for DSi has the potential to be really exciting, let's see.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nintendodork

One thing I thought would have been fun to see on the DSi is a GB Camera skin for the camera
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

L___E___T

I'm pissed they dropped the GBA slot, but if I had to choose over that or SD, it's SD for sure.

It would be nice to take pitures in gameboy dot matrix green screen style ;)
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

FamicomFreak

They dropped the GBA slot? that sucks!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

133MHz

Technology needs to go forward, my friend.
I don't see you bitching around because they dropped the ISA slot on your PC motherboard :P.

Tupin

Ugh, I can't get a DSi now.

FamicomFreak

Quote from: 133MHz on April 05, 2009, 11:41:51 am
Technology needs to go forward, my friend.
I don't see you bitching around because they dropped the ISA slot on your PC motherboard :P.

hahah good point

L___E___T

If, and this is a big If..  IF, they are releasing the entirety of DS games as downloadables (which I have heard that they are) then they may also be releasing GBA and GBC or even GB games as virtual console downloadables too.  I'd love to see game gear games on my DSi but I think that may be stretching it.  All the C64 and MSX games would work perfectly though (I think these are really nice as emulators on DS with the keyboard on the bottom screen!) and these could be very easy to swap over.  Although Wiiware isn't all as successful as Nintendo would like to think of it, if they conglomerated Wiiware and DSiware along with virtual console they'd have something way, way better than XBLA and PSN put together I think.

Nintendo have this up their sleeve I think, they've rebranded all the Wii points too so that they can market them for DS apps/games, now called just Nintendo points.

Like I said, this is a big if but in my opinion they have to do that to keep up with what Sony has planned.  I trust what I hear as it's always bang on, I have to watch what I say though for obvious reasons.

I don't think people have actually realised it yet, but DSi is going to become very popular in the next 6 months, way more than just an upgraded DS because of the software, but time will tell of course :)

For that I'd reccommend waiting to anyone who's not sure.  Pre-orders are making it difficult to get one at the moment anyway but give it a month or two if you ask me and things should look a lot brighter for the DSi.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

FamicomFreak

I'm going to wait and see but I think either way I'll buy it anyways. I hope that playing gbc and gameboy games thing is true. That would be neat.

L___E___T

That's not something I heard, it's just something I guessed, but I think it's a big missed opportunity if they don't.  Anyone ever play Metal Gear solid on GBC?  That's what metal Gear NES SHOULD have been like, that's one exploitable right there - think of all the mario land, pokemon and all the famicom ports that made GB and GBC a success then add the whole GBA library, seeing as they removed the slot it makes total sense to have a 100% back compat machine I reckon. 

The only thing I'm not sure of is the licesnsing.  All or most of the publishers that did games on DS are still around to do deals with, but the GBA and even older than that?  We could definitely see old Nintendo games but I'm not sure about all the others from a business point of view.

I'm just speculating!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Tupin

Instead of a DSi, I got Batman: Mask of the Phantasm on LaserDisc. today.