March 28, 2024, 12:55:39 pm

Finds (All Others)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:11:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nensondubois

Olympic Summer Games Genesis (CIB)

Flip

Recently I found a working copy of Earthbound at a Flea Market for $3.

Cam3ron@FW

Beat Contra arcade online with a buddy.
Consoles I own (by Generation):

1st: N/A 2nd: Colecovision 3rd: Game Boy Pocket 4th: Game Boy Color, SNES 5th: N64, N64DD, PS1 Sega Saturn  6th: Xbox, 2 Gamecubes, Dreamcast, PSP, DS 7th: Wii, Xbox 360, Ps3

tankexmortis

June 15, 2010, 03:56:01 am #1833 Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:16:13 am by tankexmortis
So I've been meaning to catalog the haul I made the weekend before last since... Well, since the weekend before last. Obviously I'm not getting around to it. Here's what I picked up:
Two Genesis systems each with two controllers and cables,
one Game Gear,
a bunch of Genesis games (the only good ones being Sonic the Hedgehog, NBA Jam, and possibly something which mentions explosions and biker babes on the back, haven't played it yet),
and a Power Joy with two multicarts and the second controller.

The SEGA systems had to be cleaned and the Power Joy's bizarre cable thing (is that seriously an AV cable with half a power cord attached to it?) actually fell out of the connecting plastic piece when I brought it home, but I'm still happy since I got it all for fourteen bucks. The cable can be easily re-soldered (in fact it was clearly re-soldered before; guess it didn't take). The multicarts won't work in my Twin Fami or my Super Joy III though.

Haven't tested the systems yet as I'm lazy, but I did spend a day last week cleaning a bunch of my expanding vintage game collection. Holy crap, let me tell you about one of them. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the Game Boy. Bizarrely, I've had it for at least a decade, although I got it used. It's always worked perfectly, including when I booted it up a few months ago. I took some pictures after I opened it:

Keep in mind this was after I cleaned the pins, before I realized how dirty it was and opened it. This thing was so nasty that even the screw needed cleaning; I had to clean my screwdriver bit after removing it.
Here's what my cleaning rag looked like at the end of the day:

The really impressive stains on the lower left were from a couple NES games that were more than a bit nasty (one was Shatterhand, the other I can't recall), but the goo (no clue what it is. Ancient soda?) didn't make it onto the board so it wasn't as impressive. Plus, that's a Game Boy game, you can't expect it to have as much gunk as an NES game.

I hope to get a bit to open my Genesis games soon and see what they have in store for me. I haven't delved into my Atari games since I don't like messing with the labels. At least they have normal Philips head screws.

EDIT: I think the second NES game was Xexyz, which was actually the very first game I got when I decided to start collecting older games.

nensondubois

KLAX (NES CIB very Good)

Nightstar699

I got Kirby: Nightmare in dreamland (GBA) today! :D
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nensondubois

Doboutso no Mori (N64 excellent condition CIB like NES) :)

nintendodork

^ Nice!  I've always wanted to track down a CIB copy of that.  How much do they usually go for CIB?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

tankexmortis

After my flea market haul yesterday I decided to get together my acquisitions of the last three weeks or so and take a group photo:

I have the cords for the Genesis systems too, I just didn't have room for them on the table. No AV cables, just RF, unfortunately.

Here's a closer look at the Genesis games. Lots of crappy sports games that came with the systems, there are more in the previous picture above the Super Joy. But I got the two Genesis systems with controllers and cords, the Game Gear, and every Genesis game on the table except for Sonic Spinball and Flashback all for $10. Wasn't gonna pass that up because the sports games were worthless.

I was also given some video game stuff that a deceased friend used to own, but I didn't feel right taking pictures of it to post online. I have fond memories of playing the games with her when we were kids, so needless to say I'll be treasuring them. The batteries in her Game Boy hadn't been changed since she died.

Nightstar699

Wow nice! 2 Genesis model twos! I can't find one of those anywhere around here.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

FamicomFreak

AMAZING STUFF MAN!! CONGRATS!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

nensondubois

Ikaruga (Gamecube CIB excellent extremely rare 19.99
Pokemon heart Gold was new until I opened it to play.
The world Ends with You (CIB Excellent, extremely rare for only 19.99

Here's what pissed me off enough to write about it at TellGamestop.com.

I bought a new copy of Wario Ware D.I.Y. but it was already opened, and to make things worse, it was not in perfect new shape. I was also missing the Club Nintendo registery sheet that should (at least to the best of my knowledge) have came with it. No more gamestop. From now on, it's Play N Trade all the way. I feel bad for whoever reads that survey!

ericj

Did you take back the Wario Ware game and ask for a replacement, refund, or discount?

tankexmortis

Quote from: Nightstar699 on June 21, 2010, 04:53:29 pm
Wow nice! 2 Genesis model twos! I can't find one of those anywhere around here.

Really? They're common as dirt here in Ohio. If they work I'd be willing to sell you one cheap if you want, I definitely don't need three of the things. Still need to test them though.

Quote from: nensondubois on June 21, 2010, 07:25:58 pm
I bought a new copy of Wario Ware D.I.Y. but it was already opened, and to make things worse, it was not in perfect new shape. I was also missing the Club Nintendo registery sheet that should (at least to the best of my knowledge) have came with it. No more gamestop. From now on, it's Play N Trade all the way. I feel bad for whoever reads that survey!

Nobody should ever buy from Gamestop under any circumstances. They're the scummiest dealers of video games in the country, including the creepy obese guy with the van of stolen PS3s that parks next to the tobacco store. Buy from local independent stores, charity-oriented thrift stores, and flea markets if you can. If not buy online. If you can't do that either, try the big chains like Best Buy, Toys 'R Us, etc. But never give those pukes at Gamestop your money. They'll just jack up the prices on their used games, pull more you-should-have-pre-ordered-the-game bullshit (99% of the time at Best Buy has games release day, and Amazon often offers release day arrival on big releases), and reseal their used games and sell 'em as new (as you unfortunately discovered).

I've never been to Play N Trade, Gamestop has poisoned me against chain video game stores so it never occurred to me to check them out. The younger folk here probably don't remember, but there used to be this really cool chain called Funcoland that had great stuff and decent prices, but Gamestop bought them a while before they bought Electronics Boutique and now Funcoland is crap.

Seriously people: don't shop there. If you love video games, it is your duty to hate Gamestop.

famiac

Quote from: tankexmortis on June 21, 2010, 04:48:37 pm
I was also given some video game stuff that a deceased friend used to own, but I didn't feel right taking pictures of it to post online. I have fond memories of playing the games with her when we were kids, so needless to say I'll be treasuring them. The batteries in her Game Boy hadn't been changed since she died.

i am sorry about your friend