March 29, 2024, 01:59:32 am

Finds (All Others)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:11:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tankexmortis

nensondubois

Quote from: tankexmortis on June 21, 2010, 08:28:17 pm
Quote from: Nightstar699 on June 21, 2010, 04:53:29 pm
Wow nice! 2 Genesis model twos! I can't find one of those anywhere around here.

Really? They're common as dirt here in Ohio. If they work I'd be willing to sell you one cheap if you want, I definitely don't need three of the things. Still need to test them though.

Quote from: nensondubois on June 21, 2010, 07:25:58 pm
I bought a new copy of Wario Ware D.I.Y. but it was already opened, and to make things worse, it was not in perfect new shape. I was also missing the Club Nintendo registery sheet that should (at least to the best of my knowledge) have came with it. No more gamestop. From now on, it's Play N Trade all the way. I feel bad for whoever reads that survey!

Nobody should ever buy from Gamestop under any circumstances. They're the scummiest dealers of video games in the country, including the creepy obese guy with the van of stolen PS3s that parks next to the tobacco store. Buy from local independent stores, charity-oriented thrift stores, and flea markets if you can. If not buy online. If you can't do that either, try the big chains like Best Buy, Toys 'R Us, etc. But never give those pukes at Gamestop your money. They'll just jack up the prices on their used games, pull more you-should-have-pre-ordered-the-game bullshit (99% of the time at Best Buy has games release day, and Amazon often offers release day arrival on big releases), and reseal their used games and sell 'em as new (as you unfortunately discovered).

I've never been to Play N Trade, Gamestop has poisoned me against chain video game stores so it never occurred to me to check them out. The younger folk here probably don't remember, but there used to be this really cool chain called Funcoland that had great stuff and decent prices, but Gamestop bought them a while before they bought Electronics Boutique and now Funcoland is crap.

Seriously people: don't shop there. If you love video games, it is your duty to hate Gamestop.

I'm never going to another GameStop again. Maybe that survey will help other customers out. I am hover, going bac k today to get my Club Nintendo card that was supposed to go with WarioWare D.I.Y.

The only place I fully support is Play N Trade for one reason, and one reason only: The sell old games. Selling games at those low prices will keep me going too. I bought a CIB Pokemon Box for just $50!

I loved FuncoLand until they turned into that spineless GameStop.

Nightstar699

Congrats on Ikaruga. Badass shmup.

I finally found my most wanted game! (If you remember, I made a thread a long time ago requesting it)
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=NES.View&egID=2919&lgID=1263

I haven't got it yet, but I paid for it, so it's mine!  ;D
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

tankexmortis

I just got a great deal from Craigslist:

DK64, the mic hookup, and the expansion pack weren't mentioned in the ad; but I still drove quite a way to pick it up because it was so cheap. I'm pretty happy, not gonna lie. I've got a couple AV cables I can use - thank you Nintendo for using the same cord for a decade! The guy even offered a cheaper price after discovering the cable was missing, but I couldn't take further advantage and gave him the original price. Now I just need to test it, clean it, and see if I can fix the loose sticks on the controllers.

I'm still kind of in shock over this. That's five of my favorite games for the N64, plus Yoshi's Story and Mario Party which are good in their own right, several other games that I may keep or sell depending on my whims, all for 20 dollars. Sorry if I seem overly excited, this is just my first really great deal is all.

Nightstar699

Wow! Another great deal! People totally overcharge for N64 games.  >:( I contacted a guy from my craigslist, I wanted Starfox 64, and Pokemon Stadium 2, and he wanted 30 dollars
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

tankexmortis

Hopefully in a few years the prices will get more reasonable. Until then I'll have to keep an eye out for more great deals on N64 games, since I'm still missing a bunch that I want. Do Japanese games only play on a Japanese N64? I'd like to get my hands on some of those games (Sin & Punishment, mmmmm...), but if I need an import system that'll make things a bit harder.

Nightstar699

I think it's the same situation as the SNES/Super Famicom. My friend has some japanese N64 games and he uses a converter to play them. But the cartridges themselves do have a form of lockout on them. Sin and Punishment is great game, but very expensive. Its like, 40 dollars! :o

Marlon

Sega Saturn with controllers all cables and 1 game only $27.00
Visit My Youtube Channel www.youtube.com/marlondudeful

tankexmortis

Hoooooly crap were those games dirty. Not a single one of them would play before I cleaned them, and it took me a good three hours of cleaning before I got them all working (Hey You Pikachu is still a little flaky, but I don't have the actual microphone anyway, just the part that hooks to the system). I've never bought a group of games that large where none would work without cleaning before. Maybe that's why I got it so cheap...

nensondubois

Quote from: Nightstar699 on June 22, 2010, 01:45:20 pm
I think it's the same situation as the SNES/Super Famicom. My friend has some japanese N64 games and he uses a converter to play them. But the cartridges themselves do have a form of lockout on them. Sin and Punishment is great game, but very expensive. Its like, 40 dollars! :o

Buy a Gameshark Pro 3.3. you will still need the key-codes, but you can find them with a quick search. That's how I got Animal Crossing working.

tankexmortis

Pretty sure I used to have one. Wonder what happened to it? Oh well, thanks for the tip. Is there an easy way to tell that particular version from the others?

FamicomFreak

awesome pick up sir! Can't go wrong for 20 dollahs!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

nensondubois

Quote from: tankexmortis on June 22, 2010, 08:14:45 pm
Pretty sure I used to have one. Wonder what happened to it? Oh well, thanks for the tip. Is there an easy way to tell that particular version from the others?

Yes, there's a few, but the easiest way to tell is by looking at the back. There should be a sticker telling you the number.

133MHz

Haven't had much time (and money) to look around for games and stuff lately, so when my mates and I had to buy some chips and LEDs for a school assignment we took it as an excuse to visit some nearby thrift stores and street markets in search of cheap electronic tat and old video games. Not the best findings in the world but not bad either!

Power Joy Famiclone with PJ-008 - $5

I didn't have a Power Joy until now, I'm always stumbling across them and I tend to avoid them like the plague mostly because of their ultra shoddy construction, but this one actually looks decent, I mean for Famiclone standards. For one, the AV lead is actually quite thick and sturdy (gasp!), but what sealed the deal for me was the PJ-008 cartridge that it had plugged in. I was mostly getting it for the cartridge and later I found out that the Power Joy that it came with isn't as bad as I thought.

The system itself is quite a bit sturdier than most Famiclones, and surprisingly the video quality is great. No oversaturated colors and no vertical lines on the video output. I'd say that its video output is near toaster NES quality. Classic incorrect Famiclone audio, the built in light gun works fine and it comes with 10 built in games, which are actually heavily edited versions of games like Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Tengen Tetris, Battle City and some others. Also pushing Select will position the cursor on a non existent menu entry, trying to access it results in a system crash. Oh, China. ::)

As for the PJ-008, this is my second copy and it turns out that they're not the exact same. A few games are different between them, as if they were two versions of the PJ-008 cartridge. I might elaborate on this later, especially if someone around here shows some interest. :)

Juice Box ROM based video player - $6 each

Personally I didn't know about these before. My friend whipped out his Blackberry and Googled it on the spot. It plays videos stored on tiny ROM cartridges on a backlit color LCD screen. It seems to have some great hacking potential so my friend bought one and I bought the other. Will mess with these later, after doing some research.

Cotton Candy Machine - $2

For two measly dollars I couldn't let this one pass up. Hmm... sugar .

Electric coffee warmers - $1 each

Found these on the street, got one for myself and one for my mom. The heating elements look OK but the mains leads are nasty. Badly injection molded plugs and frighteningly thin wires that reek of toluene. Wonder why one of the cords is broken? They're so thin and fragile that I cut the cable using my bare hands.

These things are rated at 500W, at 220V that's about two amps going through a cable thinner than the cords on really cheap Christmas lights, guaranteed fire hazard or your money back! So I'm definitely not plugging them in until I can replace the mains cords on them with real wires.

tankexmortis

Nice Power Joy (well, relatively)! I didn't find that cartridge with mine; I got a couple of Supermax carts. They aren't working on my Famicom or my Super Joy III, hopefully they'll work on the Power Joy. Mine apparently had its AV/power line broken at some point and someone soldered them back together, but it didn't take. I still haven't got around to re-soldering it. What kind of AC adapter does yours take?