Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2018, 09:39:45 PM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Famicom World
| |-+  Updates and Suggestions (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  I think the main site needs to be beefed up...
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I think the main site needs to be beefed up...  (Read 9356 times)
petik1
Sharp C1
United States United States

WILL MOD FOR FOOD

« on: April 21, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »

So, until today, I haven't visited any other part of FW except for the forum in a very long time. When the layout changed in '09, probably. Since then, it doesn't seem like there have been many articles, reviews, tutorials, etc. put into place. So I propose we fix this. Right now, I can think of this:

• Rename "Workshop" on front page to "Articles"
  • Rename "Articles" to "Workshop"
  • Move the entries to better fit the names of their categories
  • Get some reviews. We have a couple members who write for their own blogs. Contribute!
L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

Hardware Collector

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:07:02 AM »

Adding box, cart and PCB images for games would be top on my list.  This forum is nigh perfect, but compare the rest of the site to something like PlanetVB.com or Megadrive.ME and you can see the potential.

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
UglyJoe
Administrator
Disk-kun

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 01:56:30 AM »

This is definitely an area where I've let down FW.  The backend is pretty cumbersome to work with, and I've been taking waaaaaay too long to fix things up.  If it were possible for me to be fired, I think I would be fired by now Embarrassed  Some work has been done and I definitely have plans, but having plans doesn't mean anything unless I act on them.

• Get some reviews. We have a couple members who write for their own blogs. Contribute!

Reviews are always welcome, but I'm hoping to experiment with "group" reviews.  Basically, to have a bunch of forum members play a game and have them all give their impressions.  Then the FW staff or whomever would edit together all of the impressions into a single review.  I don't know how something like that would turn out, though.

Adding box, cart and PCB images for games would be top on my list.

Box and cart images, yes.  PCB images, no.  The aim of FW is to be more about playing games and less about collecting games, so we don't plan on making our game database full of esoteric information.  Besides, bootgod's site already has all of that kind of information and there's no reason to duplicate the effort. 

I am working on filling in gaps in the game list (I'm actually using the data from bootgod's site to do this, with his permission).  Once the gaps are filled, there are plans to have new articles covering lists of games for various topics ("best japan exclusive", "best no-japanese-language-needed", etc).  But, like I said, plans are only plans...
L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

Hardware Collector

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »

I would love to take part in group reviews!!

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
petik1
Sharp C1

WILL MOD FOR FOOD

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »

FW Podcasts!
Zero107
Famicom

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:08:56 AM »

I second the group reviews! Having a flashcart definitely makes trying different games easy, plus it sounds like a lot of fun.

I'll probably die surrounded by plastic crap.
FamicomFreak
FW Hospitality Liaison
Disk-kun

Famiclone!!! AWAAAA!!

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »

I wouldn't ,ind working on the images for each game part. I was helping JC work on it around three years ago. I would love for this site to get some well deserved updates.

Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com
Nightstar699
Always an AV Famicom
FamicomBox

CIB games! They're pretty cool!

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:20:21 PM »

The group reviews are a wonderful idea, it'd be interesting to have multiple different perspectives on a game in one article, and I too wouldn't mind taking part in that.

So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...
nerdynebraskan
Sharp C1

I'm Jackson. I play and collect 8-bit Nintendo.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 01:57:48 AM »

I might also be willing to contribute to group reviews. I'd certainly be interested in reading them.

JC
FW Legacy
Disk-kun

//// super pig \\\\

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »

Ugly is right. In years past we tried different ways of getting new content on the site. Certainly this forum has tons of info, like the various lists of Mario hacks, etc., that could be turned into great pieces for the main site. The problem is the cumbersome backend, where creating pages and inputting the info is itself an esoteric process.

My goal has been cart scans. Someday...

L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

Hardware Collector

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »

If you guys don't do it I will, I'm working on a gameboy site with the visual polish of Megadrive.ME, but I could expand it. 

If the images etc. are a problem, could you use text and a hosting site like photobucket?  Excuse me if that's a dumb suggestion.

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
UglyJoe
Administrator
Disk-kun

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 01:06:56 PM »

If the images etc. are a problem, could you use text and a hosting site like photobucket?  Excuse me if that's a dumb suggestion.

That's not really applicable to our problem.  I'm purposely being vague about the site backend, though, so don't worry about it Cheesy
L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

Hardware Collector

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 01:45:52 PM »

What is it, some old archaic CMS solution?  If so I feel your pain.

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
UglyJoe
Administrator
Disk-kun

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »

Yeah, more or less.  Not archaic, per se, but definitely not good in its current state.
tonev
Sharp C1

Famicom Fan

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 08:04:39 PM »

Maybe you should look at php-fusion it is a great CMS and i can help with everything you need Smiley I can make php fusion look like the front page in no time.

WHEN I DIE I WANT ALL MY GAMING RELATED ITEMS TO BE SPLIT EQUALLYTO MY GF! ALSO JAN AKA JPX72 AND SECURITY16
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: