I think the main site needs to be beefed up...

Started by petik1, April 21, 2013, 02:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

petik1

So, until today, I haven't visited any other part of FW except for the forum in a very long time. When the layout changed in '09, probably. Since then, it doesn't seem like there have been many articles, reviews, tutorials, etc. put into place. So I propose we fix this. Right now, I can think of this:

• Rename "Workshop" on front page to "Articles"

• Rename "Articles" to "Workshop"

• Move the entries to better fit the names of their categories

• Get some reviews. We have a couple members who write for their own blogs. Contribute!

L___E___T

Adding box, cart and PCB images for games would be top on my list.  This forum is nigh perfect, but compare the rest of the site to something like PlanetVB.com or Megadrive.ME and you can see the potential.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

This is definitely an area where I've let down FW.  The backend is pretty cumbersome to work with, and I've been taking waaaaaay too long to fix things up.  If it were possible for me to be fired, I think I would be fired by now :-[  Some work has been done and I definitely have plans, but having plans doesn't mean anything unless I act on them.

Quote from: petik1 on April 21, 2013, 02:55:11 pm

• Get some reviews. We have a couple members who write for their own blogs. Contribute!

Reviews are always welcome, but I'm hoping to experiment with "group" reviews.  Basically, to have a bunch of forum members play a game and have them all give their impressions.  Then the FW staff or whomever would edit together all of the impressions into a single review.  I don't know how something like that would turn out, though.

Quote from: L___E___T on April 21, 2013, 06:07:02 pm
Adding box, cart and PCB images for games would be top on my list.

Box and cart images, yes.  PCB images, no.  The aim of FW is to be more about playing games and less about collecting games, so we don't plan on making our game database full of esoteric information.  Besides, bootgod's site already has all of that kind of information and there's no reason to duplicate the effort. 

I am working on filling in gaps in the game list (I'm actually using the data from bootgod's site to do this, with his permission).  Once the gaps are filled, there are plans to have new articles covering lists of games for various topics ("best japan exclusive", "best no-japanese-language-needed", etc).  But, like I said, plans are only plans...

L___E___T

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Zero107

I second the group reviews! Having a flashcart definitely makes trying different games easy, plus it sounds like a lot of fun.
I'll probably die surrounded by plastic crap.

FamicomFreak

I wouldn't ,ind working on the images for each game part. I was helping JC work on it around three years ago. I would love for this site to get some well deserved updates.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

Nightstar699

The group reviews are a wonderful idea, it'd be interesting to have multiple different perspectives on a game in one article, and I too wouldn't mind taking part in that.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

I might also be willing to contribute to group reviews. I'd certainly be interested in reading them.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

JC

Ugly is right. In years past we tried different ways of getting new content on the site. Certainly this forum has tons of info, like the various lists of Mario hacks, etc., that could be turned into great pieces for the main site. The problem is the cumbersome backend, where creating pages and inputting the info is itself an esoteric process.

My goal has been cart scans. Someday...

L___E___T

If you guys don't do it I will, I'm working on a gameboy site with the visual polish of Megadrive.ME, but I could expand it. 

If the images etc. are a problem, could you use text and a hosting site like photobucket?  Excuse me if that's a dumb suggestion.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Quote from: L___E___T on May 06, 2013, 07:01:17 am
If the images etc. are a problem, could you use text and a hosting site like photobucket?  Excuse me if that's a dumb suggestion.

That's not really applicable to our problem.  I'm purposely being vague about the site backend, though, so don't worry about it :D

L___E___T

What is it, some old archaic CMS solution?  If so I feel your pain.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

Yeah, more or less.  Not archaic, per se, but definitely not good in its current state.

tonev

Maybe you should look at php-fusion it is a great CMS and i can help with everything you need :) I can make php fusion look like the front page in no time.
I am back everyone :)