NES Controller on Famicom?

Started by domflo, May 02, 2013, 10:40:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

domflo

This has probably been asked many times before, but I'm not sure if I understood it, so:
I own a Famicom since quite a while and I have toyed with the idea of getting a controller adapter, as I don't want to use the Famicom's controllers too much. This is because they are
a) a bit uncomfortable
b) pretty used, which is why their buttons are not working so well
c) hard to replace in case they break, as I can't seem to find a player 1 controller anywhere.
So, since I have zero technical knowledge and soldering skills, it would be best for me to buy an adapter like this from someone. But I realize that finding someone that sells them is not so easy, so I sought out for some information.
A friend of mine knows how to solder and has the right equipment, which leaves the technical stuff. From what I gathered, one could make such an adapter with a Famicom/Neo-Geo extension cable and a NES Four Score, which is the way I plan to have it done. How would one go about soldering the wires in this case? Would the easiest solution allow for two player support or not? Is it feasible to solder the wires in a way to make four players work? I don't need that, mind you, but if it wouldn't be much more trouble it would certainly be the best way to do it.
It would be nice if someone could help me out on this, and please try to explain it as simple as possible.
Thank you very much in advance.

P

I used this diagram http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=4564.msg74497#msg74497.
Wire both ports to the Neo Geo adapter. The one marked TwinHead PC-100 15 pin port is the the front of your Famicom extension port (this diagram was made for a Famiclone called TwinHead PC-100 but it works for Famicom too) and the NES ports are also the front of the ports.

1) Cut off the head of the Four Score and figure out which wire goes to which pin with the continuity test mode of your multimeter (remember the diagram is of the female port so I guess it's reversed from the Four Score's male plug).

2) Then cut off the Neo Geo extension cable and figure out which wire is which with the multimeter (again the diagram is of the port so it will be the reverse from the Neo Geo cable).

3) Solder the cables according to the diagram.

If there's something you don't understand you can probably find the answer by googling. If not, feel free to ask.

This should allow you to use at least two NES controllers on the Famicom and if I understand it correctly you will also be able to use four NES controllers in games that support either the Four Score or the NES Sattelite like the NES version of Bomberman 2 (but I can't garantee it as I don't have a Four Score). This is unfortunately NES games only (so you'll need an adapter). You won't be able to play more than two players on Famicom games that supports 3/4 players like Nekketsu Dodgeball bu or the Famicom version of Bomberman 2 with this setup. Also note that some Famicom games doesn't check the extension port for controllers which means you have to use the hardwired controllers for those games (Super Mario USA is a noteworthy example).

nusilver

Quote from: domflo on May 02, 2013, 10:40:40 am
This has probably been asked many times before, but I'm not sure if I understood it, so:
I own a Famicom since quite a while and I have toyed with the idea of getting a controller adapter, as I don't want to use the Famicom's controllers too much. This is because they are
a) a bit uncomfortable
b) pretty used, which is why their buttons are not working so well
c) hard to replace in case they break, as I can't seem to find a player 1 controller anywhere.
So, since I have zero technical knowledge and soldering skills, it would be best for me to buy an adapter like this from someone. But I realize that finding someone that sells them is not so easy, so I sought out for some information.
A friend of mine knows how to solder and has the right equipment, which leaves the technical stuff. From what I gathered, one could make such an adapter with a Famicom/Neo-Geo extension cable and a NES Four Score, which is the way I plan to have it done. How would one go about soldering the wires in this case? Would the easiest solution allow for two player support or not? Is it feasible to solder the wires in a way to make four players work? I don't need that, mind you, but if it wouldn't be much more trouble it would certainly be the best way to do it.
It would be nice if someone could help me out on this, and please try to explain it as simple as possible.
Thank you very much in advance.

Honestly, have you considered opening up your P1 controller and just cleaning it with some rubbing alcohol? If the buttons don't always work, it's probably just dirty. Also, if you need new buttons, you can source those from a P2 controller.

P

Also the controller I has the same board as a NES controller so you could even use one of those for parts.

I forgot to mention that with this setup I posted about you can also use the NES Zapper in port 2 instead of the expensive Famicom light gun. It works with both Famicom and NES light gun games.