Super Famicom and Super Gameboy

Started by DahrenDreamcast, August 02, 2015, 01:03:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DahrenDreamcast

Hi Guys :-)

When I get a bit of spare money...I plan to buy a super famicom and Gameboy adaptor for it...

May I ask, will any region Gameboy games work on this, or do they too have to be NTSC-J/Japanese.

Thank You :-)
Nintendo Child <3

Issun

kevkevkev

But are the super gameboys region free? Would a jap one work in pal console without converter?

Pikkon

P

The Space Invaders Super Game Boy game is the only game that has region protection when played on a Super Game Boy. And that's only because it has a Super Famicom ROM besides the GB ROM inside the GB cartridge, which runs when played on a Super Game Boy.

Issun

Quote from: P on August 03, 2015, 03:10:09 am
The Space Invaders Super Game Boy game is the only game that has region protection when played on a Super Game Boy. And that's only because it has a Super Famicom ROM besides the GB ROM inside the GB cartridge, which runs when played on a Super Game Boy.

The Space Invader game doesn't have any extra ROM or special IC's, the SNES code resides in the normal ROM and gets uploaded to SNES memory and executed there. The reason behind the soft-region-lock is probably just for better PAL/NTSC compatibility.

P

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. By Sufami ROM I meant the cartridge contains enough 65816 code to make up Super Famicom game.

HokusaiXL

Super GameBoy is not region locked between US / Japan.  I use my US Super GameBoy on my SupeFami all the time.  And since it's through a simple pin to pin through adapter, I'm sure the Japanese Supe GameBoy will work the same.  That and since the Super GameBoy technically uses actual GameBoy hardware, it should be region free in of itself. 

Now a PAL Super GameBoy will most certainly be region locked to PAL Super Nintendo because of the obvious frequency differences, but the games will still be region free themselves.
I don't know how to fox. D:

P

Yeah I have a PAL Super Game Boy and a Japanese Super Game Boy 2 and they only work for their respective regions of consoles.

I don't think there's any internal differences between a US SNES and a Super Famicom (besides certain things regarding the power source) so a Super Game Boy game can't possibly distinguish between the two machines. It can only distinguish between an NTSC and a PAL machine (and Space Invaders is the only game that does they say).

HokusaiXL

The Super Famicom and US SNES only differ in their RF modules, beyond that the boards are technically identical with identical hardware.

Though physically they have different rear connector breakout bases to match the shape of the different cases.
I don't know how to fox. D:

MarioMania

P

Super Game Boy 2 works like Super Game Boy in this case, except there's no PAL version of it. There's no region lockout circuit in any Super Game Boy (except for the CIC for the Sufami lockout of course) or any of the Game Boy carts AFAIK. I'm not sure I understood the question though?

MarioMania

I'm not asking anything

I'm suggesting the Super Game Boy 2 is there also

P

L___E___T

DahrenI would recommend getting the Super Gameboy 2 if you can.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。