April 29, 2024, 01:11:50 am

Anime

Started by kite200, April 28, 2007, 12:03:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

It depends on the situation, but I almost always prefer subs.

I'm currently watching Genshiken 2, Minami-ke, and Mushi-shi.

Paul-FC

I'm currently watching RockMan EXE Stream

kite200

Kite200's 2007 highly recommended list:

Death Note (10/10, great series, falls apart a bit second half but still great)
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (11/10 If you haven't watched it, stop reading this and download it now)
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai (sequel to first one)
Darker Than Black (8/10 Good show, the plot is almost non existent at times)

these are the 2007 "Must Watch" shows according to me.

EXTRA RECOMMENDATION FOR MANUEL (still part of the must watch technically):

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

The reason I don't recommend this for everyone is because most of the humor is uniquely Japanese. Half of the humor comes from the crazy character names. The main character is called

if you write it horizontally though there is quite a problem

糸色望

and his brother also suffers the same fate. added humor because he is a doctor

糸色命

ステキ

manuel

:D Ain't that a nice name for a doctor! ;D
Thanks for the recommendation. I like that kind of humor and play on words.

I'll look for that one. Seems interesting the way you describe it.

It seems there are several groups releasing it. Can you recommend one? (It seems hard to get all the RAWs, because there are almost no seeders for them  :( )

kite200

ah, I recommend a.f.k for the subs.

once you get to episode 12 the only way to watch it is the raw with the .ass file over at tokyotoshokan

anyway, watch the show, it's great
ステキ

manuel

I wouldn't need subs, but I don't mind if there are any.

I always try to find divx or xvid files that are encoded properly so I can watch them on my dvd player and not on the PC.
Many groups out there use weird codecs (matroska and the likes) that my player won't play and I'd have to watch it on my tiny screen here. :)

I gathered some info on the anime and it surely looks promising. My wife said if the anime is good she wants to buy the manga next year after we moved.

kite200

you might want the subs in a few cases because there are some really strange words they use like

hikikomori

which I didn't know what it was until a few days ago.

most of it is pretty simple though, so most of the time you can ignore the subtitles.

a.f.k is avi so easy to put on DVD
ステキ

manuel

I don't mean to brag ... well, a little bit  ;) ... but my hearing comprehension and vocabulary of Japanese is quite good. At least that's what all my teachers and professors told me. ;D

I also wrote a little essay on hikikomori in 2003 for a class in Kyushu University. ;)

Most of the time I don't need subtitles. Should there be a word I don't know I have a good dictionary that is my wife. :D

Even on DVD I watch all the Japanese stuff without subtitles, because that is the best training. It's not good to rely on subtitles.
I also regularly watch rakugo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakugo )  which is considered very hard for learners of the language, because of the subtle humor that is often hard to pick up.

kite200

yeah I don't think I could understand rakugo.

I have a pretty easy time with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei because the dialogue is pretty easy aside from a few strange words.

The video / audio quality of the a.f.k releases are what really make them good, though
ステキ

manuel

Yes, I've finally downloaded the first episode. (It sucks to have a slow connection :( )

So far it's very interesting, so I'll be downloading the rest as well. Thank you for introducing me to a new anime I didn't know!  :D There are so many mediocre anime, which makes it hard to find the good ones without recommendations.

2A03

My fav anime:

Azumanga Daioh
Comic Party
Cowboy Bebop
FLCL
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
Love Hina
Mobile Suit Gundam
Read or Die (OAV, haven't watched the series yet)
Trigun

satoshi_matrix

Although I tend to like almost any kind of anime (even giant mecha occationally though I think its way overdone) my favorites are comedy/etchi and serious drama.

A few series I saw that are defenetly helarious:

Green Green
2x2=Shinouden
Love Hina

By far the most beatufiully animated, well thoguht out, and thought provoking series I can recommend

Cardcaptor Sakura
Rozen Maiden
Kimi Ga Nazmou Eien (renamed Rumbling Hearts in the west)
Haibane Renmei

battra92

My favorite stuff is from the 80s and early 90s.

Give me Touch, Maison Ikkoku, Yawara, Creamy Mami, Saint Tail, Rose of Versailles or Dragon Ball (before all the super 9 million power level screaming stuff) and you can keep your Narutos and your CGI and the whatever shows are popular now.

I miss the 80s.

Har the cat

The manga i read now:

Eyeshield 21       Favorite now 8)
HunterxHunter    Also serious shit
Black cat               
20th century boys  :D
One piece

Ive got 8 copies of the naruto series but ive quited cos i cant take the mega conversations  :(
Intergalactic cat says: Is this planet Earth?

Mo

My fav's are:

legend of the Overfiend parts 1 & 2

Dominion Tank Police series -

and some of the Bubble Gum Crisis.

Plant you, feed you, grow you like a flower, like NINTENDO now you're playing with power!!