April 20, 2024, 08:24:18 am

Anime

Started by kite200, April 28, 2007, 12:03:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic_Lotus

I really like Ah My Goddess/Oh My Goddess, too.  The OVA was one of the first romantic-comedy anime I saw, and it's probably the show against which I measure a lot of similar anime.  Frankly, I think it's awesome the author is still writing the manga (and that it continues to get an English release!). 

UglyJoe

:pow: :pow: :pow:

Subscribed to Crunchyroll a while back, so I've been watching anime again.

Watched Genshiken Nidaime first, since I had no idea they did another season of Genshiken.  The series follows the goings-on of a college club devoted to otaku activities, called "The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture."  This season was an interesting departure from the earlier story arcs since most of the club members are girls instead of guys, and so the conversations were mostly about yaoi instead of yuri.  Uncomfortable at times, but interesting and entertaining to see things from a different perspective.

Occasionally watching Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Lovecome o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru, or My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy.  The series is this curious mix of ecchi, slapstick, and absurd.  The protagonist will randomly be presented with two absolutely terrible choices, and must choose to act out one of the choices or else feel incredible pain.  It's like, instead of a cheesy ecchi anime setup that puts the protagonist into a questionable situation, the series just says, "we're doing this now, go!"  Pretty mindless, but I find it fun because it's so ridiculous.

Also watching The World God Only Knows: Goddesses, which is the third season in the series.  This is another series that I really like and didn't realize had a third season already.  The basic plot is that the protagonist must use his extensive knowledge of dating sims to get girls in his high school to confess to him for a number of metaphysical reasons (the first episode of the first season explains it all very nicely).  This season changes the formula up a bit in order to keep things interesting, but still has plenty of gags revolving around applying dating-sim logic to "real" girls.

L___E___T

I can't stand modern Anime, so I caught up on some Geno Cyber.  I'd recommend it if you like 80s gore, but not otherwise.

Manga looks good:

You can read it online here:
http://www.mangapark.com/manga/Genocyber/v1/c1/6-1

I can't post a pic of the anime, so Google Image Search it if you wish to get an impression.  You can view the whole OVA on YouTube.

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

StJackie

Have to say Ranma was my favorite.. Friend brought it over when i was maybe 9 or 10.. thats when i first started to noticed Japan :/

P

Yeah almost anything by Takahashi Rumiko is classic.

UglyJoe

Saw these at the local Goodwill.  $0.48 per tape, though, so I didn't pick them up.  Also didn't really like DBZ after the Frieza arc ended.  Makes a nice mural, though.

manuel

Would look nice on the shelf, but VHS... no thanks.  :-[