FDS Not loading game and produces no error

Started by Clarky, October 19, 2013, 12:53:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarky

Hey all

Firstly I just want to say what a great informative forum. Sadly it's a shame my first post happens to be about a problem I'm having with my newly acquired FDS.

Ill quickly brief you all on my setup. I have a PAL NES with a famicom convertor soldered to the motherboard with the famicom carts loading from the top. All works great and famicom games play just fine.

However when hooking up my FDS all seems fine up until it actually tries to load. The BIOS screen loads fine, load my disk (only have one, castlevania) the FDS reads the disk and the screen changes to a black screen with the default white text, as soon as that disappears it just produces a black screen. I've left it like this for a few minutes expecting it to produce an error code but nothing.

Does anyone think that my game disk is blank? I would have expected an error if that was the case? This is all new to me so I'm not totally sure what to expect. I've done multiple searches but can't find anyone with the same issue so if anyone can shed any light on the issue it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance  ;)

80sFREAK

What is the temperature at your place? Sometimes, when it's cold "beginning of track" switch won't flip and system will not recognise this situation.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Clarky

Not really cold here, about 20c inside.

That's the switch that flips down at the back of the drive right? Ill open it up and check the operation of it. Ill report back soon.

80sFREAK

But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

ebinsugewa

Hm, can you remove the cover to see what's happening when you get stuck at the screen? It does sound like a head/drive rails issue.

Clarky

Well I took the top of the FDS and watched what it did when I loaded a disk into it.

The arm at the back seems to read and retract towards the back of the unit hitting the switch when it hits the end. I then get the the Famicom Copyright screen followed by a blank screen.

I've recently acquired another FDS disk and that doesn't work either, although it is another copy of Castlevania. Is there any chance that the FDS would load some games and not others because it hasnt been setup correctly after a belt change?

The person I bought it off said they changed the belt and then tested it with a copy of Falsion which worked with no problems.

P

If the disk was written on a wrongly configured drive, the disk will only work on drives that are configured equally wrongly I think. But if he didn't write Falsion himself on your drive after replacing the belt it's unlikely.

80sFREAK

Quote from: Clarky on November 27, 2013, 02:49:35 am
Well I took the top of the FDS and watched what it did when I loaded a disk into it.

The arm at the back seems to read and retract towards the back of the unit hitting the switch when it hits the end. I then get the the Famicom Copyright screen followed by a blank screen.

I've recently acquired another FDS disk and that doesn't work either, although it is another copy of Castlevania. Is there any chance that the FDS would load some games and not others because it hasnt been setup correctly after a belt change?

The person I bought it off said they changed the belt and then tested it with a copy of Falsion which worked with no problems.
Yes, it hits, but in some cases(i know at least one - low temperature), switch won't flip.