Specially Modified Square-Button Famicom AV

Started by Xious, December 16, 2010, 01:07:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Xious

I created this baby and decided to showcase it before it goes away to another FW member... It's a Square-Button FC, as you can note, that I modified to AV out without any casework changes or cuts:

Here are more photos, for the curious. Note the maroon and cream cables with female termination, so the user may attach long A/V hookups and set this beauty anywhere No cutouts, no removal of RF Modulator functionality, etc.

This is, IMO, how this mod should be done, so this is how I do them. :)

famiac

Damn that's pretty good. Can't wait to get it!  :)

manuel

That's a really nicely done mod. Using existing holes is how everybody should do it.

ericj

Nice job.

BTW, what's in the pipe, captain?  :-X

NintendoKing

That is a beautiful A/V modification, I love the color matching with the wires and that the wires exit the controller cord holes. Nice!

famiac

December 16, 2010, 07:14:09 pm #5 Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:25:24 pm by nintendodork
Quote from: ericj on December 16, 2010, 05:54:38 pm
Nice job.

BTW, what's in the pipe, captain?  :-X
[picture]

What pipe?

ericj

jpx72

Quote from: ericj on December 16, 2010, 07:23:12 pm
Upper right-hand corner.  :P

LoL ;D

Personally, it makes me a little sad to see "the square button one" being modified. But at least there are no holes in the plastic. That would've killed me.

Xious

Thanks Manuel... That's why I do it this way: It's both fully reversible and the RF Modulator still works. I still have some tests to make to get one AV Mod kit to work on all systems, but once I do, I'll make it available.

(Famiac: As you can see, it's all-original. You can restore the case back to white with Retr0Brite if you'd like, but I didn't because of the time-limit imposed on me.)

The cables are dyed with SEM automotive plastics paint, but could possibly use a bit of touch-up to be perfect. It doesn't bons as well to rubber as it does to hard plastics though... For those who wish to paint systems, use SEM. It is designed for automotive interiors and plastic bumpers, and bonds into the plastic polymer. I

If anybody is interested, 'll probably do a run of these with round-button models soon-ly. I'm working on a combined board to f  closer to the space around the RF board, and I'm hoping to make a fully generic kit that also handles Atari consoles. My test board is very small, and will work for the job, but it isn't etched (it's vero), so I'm playing with component placement+routing in KiCAD and I'll see how it turns out. I need to fully examine the differences in the video circuit between CPU04-07 and GPM-02x, as I don't see why using the same design n both should be so problematic.

The pipe is (half-)filled with Samuel Gawith's 'Commonwealth Mixture', which s a full-English, like Dunhill's 'Nightcap' was once upon a time.

shoggoth80

"The pipe is (half-)filled with Samuel Gawith's 'Commonwealth Mixture', which s a full-English, like Dunhill's 'Nightcap' was once upon a time. "

Not a Cavendish fan? Heresy!

Nice mod! If you get one working for Atari consoles... lemme know... I have multiples, so A/V modding one won't hurt.

Xious

Not so much mate: I'm a fan of VAs, English, Balkan and VA-Perique mixtures. :) I used to smoke cav mixtures way back when, a long time ago when I first started smoking though, along with disme cigars; they're just not for me anymore.

Do you have any particular mixture to call your own? I still enjoy the aroma, but I don't care for syrupy sugary stuff, being used to the nut-sweet of the Virginias, the perfume-y background of good Orientals, and the velvety-to-oaky or licorice-like twang of high-quality Latakias. My cellar is quite vast at this point, and I've calculated that I have enough to last about ten-years at my current pace, which is essentially 'perpetual'.  ;D I also enjoy botanicals, which were the trend back in the 1550s-1700s (e.g. red and bright VA with spearmint and deers' tongue) and if you ever want to try something sweet, along those lines, with no added flavours or casings, feel free to write me for a sample. (Deers' tongue has a vanilla-like quality and the VA is cake-like, for a perfect combination of flavours.)

Anyhow, the board I'm using should be usable in other consoles, and in fact, that's part of the idea behind it. I'm going to test it on Atari, Coleco, InTV, Magnavox, and other machines and once I'm satisfied, I'll talk about it in detail. At present, I'm working on isolating the video signal to circumvent the jail-bars issue on one of my workbench FC units. I'm hoping to eventually find a universal solution to that as well, with some help from a couple friends.   8)

linkzpikachu

Quote from: jpx72 on December 16, 2010, 10:34:26 pm
Quote from: ericj on December 16, 2010, 07:23:12 pm
Upper right-hand corner.  :P

LoL ;D

Personally, it makes me a little sad to see "the square button one" being modified. But at least there are no holes in the plastic. That would've killed me.

same, glad you used existing holes like everyone should
FUCK YEAH SEAKING!