Smartphone Forum Apps

Started by UglyJoe, November 07, 2011, 10:22:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Does anybody use a smartphone app to browse forums?  

I'm looking at Forum Runner (which has a free version) and Tapatalk (which looks nicer but doesn't have a free version, but is cheap).  Naturally I'd want to install whatever server component is necessary so that it could browse Famicom World, but I was curious if anyone uses such an app and had any opinions on them.  

Xious

I find that SMF-1.x forums work well-enough in most smartphone browsers, even on the older devices that I use (Treo 700w and 700p). I didn't even know that custom programmes existed for this utility, but it doesn't shock me that someone would code this sort of tool.  :bomb:

UglyJoe

Yeah, it looks fine in a browser, but is a little cumbersome.  Plus I would like some push notifications when new threads/post appear.

L___E___T

I have FW set up to a button on my iPhone and use it a hell of a lot.  I browse with my phone every day without fail, so this is something I'd really like and it's good practice anyway as smartphone adoption rates are at around 70% in the US last time I looked.

I'll keep subscribed to this and watch with a beasy eye - on my phone :)
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

So apparently Forum Runner doesn't support SMF.  Kinda disqualifies that one ;D

I may look into Tapatalk still, but I really wish there were a free version.  (not that $2.99 is whole lot of money...)

petik1

I use FW on my (Android) phone half the time I'm on the site. A mobile version would be fantastic.

BonBon

Quote from: petik1 on November 11, 2011, 04:52:08 pm
I use FW on my (Android) phone half the time I'm on the site. A mobile version would be fantastic.
as do I but it's all the time for me hell i'd even buy the app if fw made one so I could support fw.

UglyJoe

I'm definitely not making a custom FW app.  Don't have the time to make one nor the money to license one.

UglyJoe

I've installed the Tapatalk software on the forum.  If you use Tapatalk, you should be able to find Famicom World there now and use the forum through the app.  The Tapatalk app is $2.99, unfortunately, and there's no free version.  Works for lots of other forums as well.  If you're using an Android device, there's a (kinda crappy) free app called "Convo" that will work as well (use famicomworld.com/forum as the forum URL).

I'm still testing things out.  If you notice any strangeness on the forum (in an app or in a web browser), let me know in this thread.

UglyJoe

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

UglyJoe

November 27, 2011, 10:40:44 am #11 Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:03:34 pm by UglyJoe
Nope.  It's not a FW app, it's a general-purpose forum-reading app, so per-forum customizations isn't something it tries to do (unless you license it for $999 and pay them $29/hour to customize it for you).  It's not a bad application, but it's definitely a different experience than browsing the forum in a web browser.

tonev

Thanks i am a tapatalk user and now i can use FW too :) (not that it was a problem using the site but it just felt stupid to zoom in and out frequently :D )
I am back everyone :)

UglyJoe

Cool.  I'm glad somebody is using it ;D

famiac

Tadaaa im also using tapatalk. Its a really nice app!!