*NEW* NES game out! Nomolos: Storming the Catsle

Started by Parodius Duh, May 17, 2012, 05:59:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Parodius Duh

May 17, 2012, 05:59:30 pm Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:36:36 pm by manuel
Came out today apparently! This game looks pretty good!

http://youtu.be/YlYNf9HNaRs

You can pick a copy up from retrozone!

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=117

UglyJoe

Drakon

May 18, 2012, 06:52:19 am #2 Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:04:28 am by Drakon
Quote from: UglyJoe on May 17, 2012, 06:09:36 pm
It's Cat-sle, not Cas-tle :D

He is a cat after all.

*edit*

good god this game looks bad.  Really an improved jumping and shooting physics engine would have been all it really needs to be more fun looking.  Please tell me those sprites aren't ripped from castlevania or something similar.  Anyway if the sprites are indeed original they look pretty darn good.

Music....so bad.  I'd be tempted to play it with no sound and put on some mp3s of something better which wouldn't be too difficult to find.

The artwork looks like they re-hired the guy who did the box art for megaman 1.....I actually like that it's a good thing

Parodius Duh

I will say, theres some flaws. But it is certainly better than a large majority of NES  titles already out there. I believe some of the sprites are reused from Ironsword, Castlevania, and Super Mario Bros, just the appearances are slightly altered. Regardless it is always a good day to see a new title released!

Drakon

Quote from: Parodius Duh on May 18, 2012, 09:51:57 am
I will say, theres some flaws. But it is certainly better than a large majority of NES  titles already out there. I believe some of the sprites are reused from Ironsword, Castlevania, and Super Mario Bros, just the appearances are slightly altered. Regardless it is always a good day to see a new title released!

Still would be even cooler if it used all original sprites!  Just as long as they don't hire the guy who did the music to do the sprites!

FamicomFreak

Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

UglyJoe

Played the demo.  Kinda reminded me of the "The Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man" (only with better controls).  Both games look alright and play alright, but the level design and enemy layout don't really seem cohesive.  It's like I'm navigating the levels of one game with the enemy layouts of another.  It's just random flying things all over the place :P

Drakon

Quote from: UglyJoe on May 18, 2012, 05:09:22 pm
Played the demo.  Kinda reminded me of the "The Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man" (only with better controls).  Both games look alright and play alright, but the level design and enemy layout don't really seem cohesive.  It's like I'm navigating the levels of one game with the enemy layouts of another.  It's just random flying things all over the place :P

Wow I think you just created the text book definition of 99% of homebrew games out there.  Especially that "It's just random flying things all over the place".

I guess when you're a small team of amateur programmers you're just looking to throw something together as quickly as possible and get it out there without any form of refinement.  A guy I used to roommate with was programming his own games on his own but they seriously lacked refinement.  So I'd test play his games and tell him what they needed.  Then he implemented all of my ideas and didn't include me in the credits.