Famicom with built in turbo buttons and av? Need help identifying pleeease.

Started by NeetBoss, February 10, 2014, 11:25:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NeetBoss

So I came across this Famicom a little while ago and absolutely cannot find anything on it.
I bought it from a man at this local video game/comic/anime shop and said that a Japanese couple donated it to him.
Had a box and everything so I thought it'd be a really cool pick up.
Especially since I had been watching plenty of Justin "JewWario" Carmical, who got me incredibly interested in the Famicom! (It's my second favorite console now.)
I was really pumped to pick it up and excited to just find a Famicom in North America in the wild. So I didn't look it over really well..
It wasn't until I got it home that I realized it was really different. Setting it up I realized it had an av cable.
I thought the guy i bought it from didn't know what the Famicom really was and just threw the av cable in there. But with further inspection I noticed it actually had av ports...
And as soon as I picked up the controller I noticed it had two extra buttons for turbo functions!

I think it might be clone/bootleg? I don't really care if it is. It works wonderfully.
But it does have the official Nintendo logo all over it. On the bottom right of the front "Family Computer" sticker.
As well as the logo being visible on the bottom left of the Box.
The Ac plug even has the Nintendo logo (which could have been bought at a separate time for the previous owner but i kinda just find that unlikely with the amount of how many other times the Nintendo logo shows up on this thing.)
I've also opened up the controllers to take a look see at the boards used and they're exactly the same as the NA NES controller boards, with the addition of the turbo buttons though. (I'm not sure if the JP Famicom used the NA boards or not but it was interesting...) (I also can't remember if the Nintendo logo was printed on the boards too..)
I'd like it if someone could help me Identifying this certain model please! Thank you so much in advance, friends and have a great day!

Attached some pictures for refs :redcart:

L___E___T

It's a clone - I know someone else that has the same one, but I'm not sure where he got it from, or when it was made.  I thought they were new but the box looks like it's older?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NeetBoss

okay thank you! yeah there's a date of 1983 on the box. so i guess it's fairly old?
and yeah i wouldn't be surprised. this box just feels old. like how cardboard will start to get flakey over time? just like that.

satoshi_matrix

That's a lie. The earliest date that would be would be 1989. There weren't Famiclones before that. It's probably from 1991-1992.

Can you do me a favor and open it up? I'd love to see some pics of its motherboard. I have a clone thats very similar to that. Look to see if the PPU and CPU are socketed. If they are, then its actually possible you could remove them and replace them with actual Ricoh chips from a real NES or Famicom and turn that Famiclone into a real boy :)

P

Yeah wasn't 1983 when the Famicom was released? It sounds unlikely for Japanese clones to show up that early.

L___E___T

Much more likely that they copied the original box and amended where necessary, hence the same date.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

satoshi_matrix

Right, exactly, although they're quite bold to directly copy the Nintendo logos and copyright dates and such. I have a Famiclone that also has a very similar box, but it says "VIDEO GAME" and not Nintendo on it. haha.

L___E___T

That's probably the one I have as well - bought it about 5 years ago and tucked it away as a new clone, part of the hardware collection.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。