Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Robocco Wars.  Finally figured out a pattern for the final boss :-[

Decent enough game.  Good graphics and music (it's published by Taito), but probably too easy overall.  Except for the final boss, who actually requires some thought and timing to beat.

edit: 4444 posts

L___E___T

March 29, 2014, 07:06:57 pm #301 Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:13:30 pm by L___E___T
Quote from: Nightstar699 on March 27, 2014, 05:55:55 pm
Ugh, how I wish Spartan X-2 had a hard mode. I still love that game, probably my 2nd favorite beat 'em up after Ninja Warriors Again. There is definitely some trickiness to be found on the final stage, gotta place a perfect uppercut against the rain of enemies on the moving platform.

Ahh, maybe that's why it was tricky, I got through with rapid punches and jump kicks, even the last boss was easier than that bit, the enemies just fall fall fall until they push you off :P

edit: 4343 - I'm catching you up Joe
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nerdynebraskan

Adventures of Lolo 3 (NES)... finally! I've been playing this off-and-on for weeks, and with as many hours as this soaked up, I still wound up needing online FAQ assistance for 27 of the 100 puzzle rooms. I'm not proud of that.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

P

Aa that's not good. Although I guess it couldn't be helped. Whenever I get really stuck in a room in an Eggerland game, I take a picture of the screen and sends it to my brother to see if we can solve it together. But by doing that, my brain gets to cool off and I usually end up figuring out the solution by myself, so it's a great tactic!

untinip

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. The controls were a lot better in this game than in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, but I'm still not very fond of this whole motion control thing. I've just started playing Four Swords Adventures (GC) - man it feels good to play using a regular controller again! ;)

L___E___T

I LOVED Skyward Sword.  Just everything about that game I thought was excellently designed, I keep meanign to go back and endgame it.  I didn't let the motion control (or SD) ruin it for me, but like you I prefer buttons, d-pads and joysticks.

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

I love that game too! I thought it would be much more like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (my two least favourite Zelda games although they are still great games) but it easily beats those two games. I was amazed of how good the motion plus feature was. I had heard lots of criticism of the controlls but I can't find anything about it to complain at. It's definitely a game worthy to be part of the Zelda series. I never had time to play through the whole game though. Last time I played I got the last of the three flames.

L___E___T

Please, please go back and finish it - it gets better, and better and better right til the end and I'm hoping the endgame is just as good.

It's not necessarily my favourite Zelda (that'd probably be Twilight Princess), but it is arguably the best Zelda.

This article sums it up well (may be spoilers):
http://tay.kotaku.com/why-skyward-sword-is-the-best-zelda-1557379418
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

Well yesterday I ONLY played Street Fighter II on emulator against a friend, so tonight I had to make up for it with a gaming marathon. Beat the following:

Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 1 (Famicom) Beat this one twice.
Power Blade (NES)
Wrath of the Black Manta (NES)
Hitler No Fukkatsu (Famicom)
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

BonBon

April 05, 2014, 07:08:43 am #309 Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:16:30 am by Jay-ray
DoReMi fantasy Super Famicom. finally sat down and gave it the full run and I was very pleased. the game was a lot longer then I expected and the final boss gave me some trouble but Challenge is a good thing.

L___E___T

Sat down and beat Double Dragon 2 - on easy, the shame!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Quote from: L___E___T on April 03, 2014, 09:14:05 am
Please, please go back and finish it - it gets better, and better and better right til the end and I'm hoping the endgame is just as good.

It's not necessarily my favourite Zelda (that'd probably be Twilight Princess), but it is arguably the best Zelda.

This article sums it up well (may be spoilers):
http://tay.kotaku.com/why-skyward-sword-is-the-best-zelda-1557379418

I just completed part of the quest of Song of Hero. I hear this quest is where the game breaking glitch appears. I understand that I should have nothing to worry about if I take the desert part last.

How is it the best but still not your favourite? Isn't "best" also only personal opinion?
It's definitely very good even for a Zelda game, but it's hard to beat Zelda 3 and Ocarina in terms of the best Zelda.

L___E___T

I was hoping someone would ask me to clarify.

In short, what I call favourite = my fondest memories, best = which I think offers (and fulfils) the most for players generally.  Both are subjective of course, as is all critique to some extent.

Zelda3, Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time I enjoyed all well after they released.  To put that into perspective, the Z targetting system in OOT wasn't new for me, the graphics hadn't aged well at all, the difficulty spikes tiresome, the damnfairy incessantly annoying, among other things.  the game just didn't wow me in comparison to Wind Waker, which I enjoyed a lot more perhaps because it was newer and easier.

Likewise Zelda 3 and Link's Awakening I played later as well - but again in comparison to Minish Cap I just didn't enjoy them nearly as much.  I am definitely no graphics whore for want of a better term, they just didn't feel as well crafted.  Ironically I didn't get that with Zelda 1 and I didn't get that at all with Zelda G&W, the first Zelda game I ever played and went back to at the same time.  I never played Zelda 1 until 5 years ago, so I don't think it is just nostalgia, maybe they weren't in that retro sweet spot, but also lacked the rose-tinted effect of memories from a playthrough at release.

It's a bit like looking at a car collection - a collector may call the Lamborghini Miura his 'favourite' car, but the best performing in his garage may be a brand new Aventador.  It depends on what you judge them on.  I am a nostalgia fiend more than anything, but when games reach a a certain age I think I get that nostalgia even if I didn't play them way back when they were released perhaps.

There are some people that argue that your favourite is also what you call the best - because the games that do what they do best hit those emotions that favourites do - but I think calling something the best is not as personal, while a favourite is entirely personal.  To me that marks the difference.  I know it's commonly thought that ALTTP and Link's Awakening along with OOT are the 'best', but for mew I just didn't enjoy them as much as the Wii releases, they had more frustrations and annoyances than the Wii releases and they also were less pleasant to play generally than the Wii releases, so I do rank Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword above all three of those.  2D Zelda wise, I am sticking to Minish Cap as the best, it's fluid animation, structured gameplay and the way it handles the lore I think are better crafted than Zelda 3 or LA - but still not as original and charming as Zelda 1!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

I see what you are saying. Certainly I probably give Zelda2, Zelda3 and maybe even Ocarina lots of bonus points just because of all the found memories of them. While I played WW and TP as an adult and with much much more critical eyes.

Zelda 2 was incredibly difficult for the very young me but I still insisted on playing it, and now it's permanently an important part of my childhood. If I try to discount my childhood memories of the game, I regard the game as a great action RPG with a very cool and well-made battle system.

Zelda 3 was AMAZING! I dreamed about the game, in school we could talk about the game for hours, and me and my brother often just played around in the game without even trying to get to the next goal. It was like a whole magical world to us. Today the game is still gorgeous. I'm not sure if I can look at this game with objective eyes though lol.

Ocarina was the most anticipated game I ever been waiting for, and yet it's a rare example of a game that fulfilled all my high expectancies and even exceeded them. I don't see why you think this game is hard but yet you have no problem with Zelda1 or Links Awakening which are both much harder IMHO. I think the difficultly (in terms of monsters, not in terms of puzzles) are this game's one and only real flaw. All other Zeldas before and after this game seems harder to me. The only really hard non-boss enemy in the game is the Iron Knuckle and there are very few of them.

I can't see what's so good about Minnish Cap though. It's a great game but I regard it along with the other Capcom Zeldas, as very different experiences that can't really be compared with Zelda games because they don't quite feel like Zelda games.

I don't get that car metaphor. If the Lamborghini Miura is your favourite, that's of course your subjective opinion. But whether the Aventador has the best performance or not is an objective fact that can't be argued against. Still I think I see your point. By best you mean the best game if you compare all the Zeldas objectively without considering nostalgia factors, thus it's still an subjective opinion. In that case earlier games like Zelda3 might loose points, if not for other reasons, because they are way too short compared to the 3D Zeldas.

When you say "best" is not personal you mean it has the potential to be the favourite of many people, as long as they have similar opinions as you (and thus it's in your own subjective opinion) but not the same memories of the games as you have. I totally buy that.

BonBon

Fire Bam on the famicom disk system. Was quite fun I really enjoyed it. I tell you there something magical about firing up that red box to play the collection of oddities that are the fds exclusives.