Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Issun

Quote from: P on May 03, 2014, 04:04:52 am
OK I'm more or less done with Brinstar except I haven't got the Varia yet (not sure how you get it).
Speaking of the Varia I just looked in the Japanese manual and the Varia is spelled as "Baria" in Japanese. "Varia" is technically not a wrong romanization of the word but when I look at the picture in the manual where you can see that the item forms a force field barrier around Samus, it's clear to me that the intended meaning was most likely the English word "Barrier" and not Varia.

You can get the Varia early by doing a standing double bomb jump, requires some practice but it's not that hard. Otherwise you need to detour to Norfair for the high jump boots.
Yeah, I've read about that mis-romanization, they most probably meant "Barrier" but "Varia" still sound pretty cool and have of course since been cemented into the metroid mythos. :)

I just completed "Tatakai no Banka". This time with no continues, I got it on the first try.

P

Yeah I guess. Even the Japanese versions have the in-game romanisation of Varia Suit in later games I think. And since Metroid II the Varia upgrade doesn't just change the colour palette, but also changes the appearance of her power suit, indicating that the suit is physically upgraded as well.

I managed to beat Kraid! I post my latest attempts in the proper thread though: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=164.msg147809#msg147809

Issun

Just beat "Hello Kitty World". It's a harder game than you'd think. I was down to my last life when I got to the final boss, was so close to dying several times but managed to pull through. Really fun game, I must say.

Nightstar699

Shinobi on Master System, and finally I managed to clear it without having to continue. That game has a couple ridiculously brutal points.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Issun

May 04, 2014, 05:04:21 am #349 Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:41:46 am by Issun
Wanpaku Duck Yume Bouken on Famicom.

Edit: Also completed Little Mermaid - Ningyo Hime as well as 2 and a half laps of Spartan X on Famicom today.

BonBon

May 06, 2014, 09:12:10 pm #350 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 09:25:30 pm by Jay-ray
Daiku no Gen-San. Also know as Hammerin' Harry. I swear this game has some flawed controls in the jump it sometimes delays or sometimes I don't jump at all when I press the button but it only happens sometimes. Seem to especially happen on that run to the final boss with the fountains. Anyone else run into this problem?

Nightstar699

As a long-time fan of the game, I can't say that I've ever had that issue. However, that sounds exactly what I experience sometimes when I play Doki Doki Yuuenchi... jumps not coming out for seemingly no reason. Huh. Did you clear the second loop of Gen-San? I'd recommend it, it cranks up the difficulty big time.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

BonBon

May 06, 2014, 11:12:41 pm #352 Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:20:15 pm by Jay-ray
Omg hammerin' Harry 2 is one of most intense and hardest platforming games I've ever challenged. Please look up my old posts in this thread when I talk about beating this game. That rival boss you face in the junkyard in shooter mode had my number for like an hour no joke. I'm a platformer guy was not expecting such an intense shooter level.

Issun

Guevara on Famicom. Used a few continues though.

nerdynebraskan

Willow (NES)

@ Jedi

Yeah, those are probably the two most brutal parts of the whole game. The crazy thing is you have to face that room full of flamethrower guys twice to clear the last stage, but I actually got to be pretty good at it with a little practice. Your actor's boomerangs actually work really well; with a little practice you can hit them twice and eliminate them with one shot. Definitely get used to hitting them diagonally; harder to pull off, but it also gives you favorable angles to avoid their fire.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

P

Metroid (NES)

On my way back to Brinstar after beating Ridley, I found a missile tank I had missed. And with that I probably had more than enough missiles to complete the game I thought so I headed for Tourian. The statues raised and the bridge to Tourian was materialized before me. Those metroids are really dangerous even though I know their weakness. But I also found out that I could absorb a good chunk of life or missile energy from them after defeating them, so keep fighting them was a perfect way to heal.

After destroying every metroid in sight I finally arrived in the mother brains room. The Mother Brain was nothing like Kraid or Ridley, it's easily the hardest boss in the game. The rinka are very dangerous because they come out from nowhere and smack you from behind all the time. I managed to destroy every zebetite that keeps the mother brain alive but even then I died several times trying to blast the mother brain with missiles (damn rinka!). Finally I defeated her and escaped before the bomb exploded. There shouldn't be anymore metroids on Zebes now.

Issun

May 09, 2014, 10:33:38 am #356 Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:40:19 pm by Issun
Great going there P! What ending did you get?

Just completed Balloon Kid on the Gameboy. It was pretty hard, but since I've practiced all day and happened to find a fool proof strategy on the final boss I beat it with 9 lives left.

Edit: Finished Duck Tales on Gameboy as well. Loved that the stages weren't just carbon copies of the NES game, it was a bit harder though mainly because the control felt slightly off.

P

She took off her helmet. Not that bad I guess.

Oh Duck Tales to Gameboy. I used to borrow that game from my cousin when I was a kid and I have probably played it more than the NES version. It's mostly the same game, the stages are just arranged differently. I'm still confused when I play the Famicom/NES version because the stages edged into my mind is still that of the Gameboy version. Especially the more confusing levels like the moon and the castle.

Nightstar699

In terms of non-Famicom games, my completions of the day were...

Karate Kid (NES)
Kung Fu (NES)
Black Belt (Master System)

nerdynebraskan

On a martial arts "kick" there, Nightstar? And Karate Kid, wow... the crap factor of that game vastly exceeds my patience.

As for me, well last night I beat all the scenarios on Sensha Senryaku: Sabaku no Kitsune (FC). I wrote a little more about that in the thread, "List of Famicom/NES Game Differences" since I'm already very familiar with its NES version: Desert Commander.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551