Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

I'm also on a martial arts kick here. I beat Spartan X 2 on Easy mode. I died 2 or 3 times at most.

nerdynebraskan

I just popped in my new Famicom version of Operation Wolf, and managed to beat it while rescuing four of five hostages on my first try. Either I'm still fresh from beating the NES version a couple of months ago, or this version is slightly easier.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Zycrow

May 11, 2014, 08:42:02 am #362 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:58:30 pm by Zycrow
Brought my Famicom over to a buddy's house to play some of the games I got recently. We ended up playing Super Mario Bros. 3 all the way through (no warps). I had never played the slightly-more-difficult Famicom version. My friend grew up playing mostly Super Mario World, so 3 was pretty tough for him (I completed probably 90% of the stages).  :help:

Anyway. Man. That game is perfection. I always find something new in it, too. Like I had no idea that there were two different Bowser rooms.

Post Merge: May 12, 2014, 08:58:29 pm

Tonight I finished Faxanadu, an RPG I played a lot as a kid but never finished . I remember reaching the latter parts of the game when I was younger, but I can't recall if I was using Game Genie or not (I played to the end of many NES games as a kid using the ol' Genie...I just wasn't skilled or patient enough to beat them at the time).

The stiffest challenges, I thought, came in the misty areas midway through the game, where the enemies' strength was somewhat higher than yours, and the final dungeon, which required dutiful mapping. The last two bosses were both pretty tough, too.  :fire:

I loved the king's last line to you: "What a restless guy!"

Oh, and one other thing. If any of you are about to play through this game for the first time, here's some advice: DO NOT collect the amulet at the end of one of the misty area dungeons. It's supposed to increase your sword's strength, but due to a bug, it actually decreases it. The game registers the dungeon as completed as long as you defeat the boss; the amulet isn't necessary. I ended up generating a password to get me to the same point in the game but without the amulet, just so I didn't have to bear that burden any longer.  :-[
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Issun

Just completed Cave Noire (Gameboy). Really awesome game! Relies pretty heavily on RNG but still requires strategy and skill to get through, it's almost a puzzle game in a sense.

Zycrow

Finally finished Adventures of Lolo. I know it's one of the easier titles in the series, but I feel accomplished in that I only consulted guides on one or two stages  ;D

Issun

New Ghostbusters II on Famicom. Pretty good game! Required a little practice too.

Dendy

Quote from: Issun on May 15, 2014, 10:43:15 am
New Ghostbusters II on Famicom. Pretty good game! Required a little practice too.

I love this game, finished it on famicom and nes.
At Classic Nintendo Gaming Forum we play nes/famicom games! Join us at http://www.nintendoforum.nl

Issun

Quote from: Dendy on May 16, 2014, 07:17:15 am
I love this game, finished it on famicom and nes.

Yeah it's a fun game! Since I used a continue yesterday, I tried to beat it without one today. Was down to my last life when I arrived at the final boss, but I made it in the end.

BonBon

Super Castlevania IV snes. I was a little rusty took me a few more deaths then I'd have liked. Over all it was a good run. Those rotating platforms had my number for a second.

nerdynebraskan

Lode Runner (NES)

No real ending to speak of. Beat Stage 50, and the game loops back to Stage 1 without any acknowledgement. But I did beat all 50 stages, so that's really all you can do. I'll have to try Championship Lode Runner (FC) again someday; I've never been able to beat a single stage of that.

I also dig New Ghostbusters II and Super CastleVania IV, but I've never seen either of them to the end. Someday...
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Dendy

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on May 18, 2014, 11:32:39 am
Lode Runner (NES)

No real ending to speak of. Beat Stage 50, and the game loops back to Stage 1 without any acknowledgement. But I did beat all 50 stages, so that's really all you can do. I'll have to try Championship Lode Runner (FC) again someday; I've never been able to beat a single stage of that.

I also dig New Ghostbusters II and Super CastleVania IV, but I've never seen either of them to the end. Someday...

Nice! There is also super Lode runner on the fds.
At Classic Nintendo Gaming Forum we play nes/famicom games! Join us at http://www.nintendoforum.nl

Zycrow

Quote from: Jay-ray on May 16, 2014, 02:28:44 pm
Super Castlevania IV snes. I was a little rusty took me a few more deaths then I'd have liked. Over all it was a good run. Those rotating platforms had my number for a second.

The stage with the gear wheel that chases you always catches me off-guard.

Issun

I just finished Kawa no Nushi Tsuri on the Famicom. A little grind heavy in the middle perhaps, but a fantastic game it was. I loved that you got to walk back to the village (not bothered by enemies) once you'd caught the river master, gave the whole adventure some scope and closure.

P

Cool I gotta try to beat that game sometime. Was it short?

Walking back with the river king without encounters, I guess it was the same on the Gameboy game that was released in English? Dragon Quest games are almost always like that after you beat the final boss, you can go back and talk to all people in every town and all monsters are gone. Mother 2 was also like that I think.

Zycrow

I SORTA beat Blaster Master, a game I've owned since childhood and have repeatedly attempted to complete. As a kid I could reliably get to Area 4, but very rarely past that point - possibly because I simply had to turn off the NES by then! In the past the farthest I'd gotten was Area 5. This time I got all the way to the end of the game.

I say "sorta" beat because by the time I finally got the end of Area 8, I was on the last two lives of my last continue. On the second life I got to the final boss' second form, and even though I knew the trick to beating him, it didn't quite work and he whipped me to death.

Discouraged at having to trek through that entire game again (this first playthrough I left my NES on for three or so days), I decided to use a Game Genie code to put me at the final boss' door. I'd thought I would just use a stage select code and go through all of Area 8 again, but that code starts you without any of Sophia's upgrades, making it impossible to proceed.

But anyway, with a non-upgraded Jason I was able to beat the final boss on the second try, and I consider this book closed.  :fire: