Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Issun

Quote from: P on May 19, 2014, 02:48:02 pm
Cool I gotta try to beat that game sometime. Was it short?

Walking back with the river king without encounters, I guess it was the same on the Gameboy game that was released in English? Dragon Quest games are almost always like that after you beat the final boss, you can go back and talk to all people in every town and all monsters are gone. Mother 2 was also like that I think.

It wasn't overly long and somewhat linear, but highly recommended, especially if you're a fan of the series.

No, the Gameboy version cuts to the ending as soon as you catch the River King, but you can continue playing after the credits. That's a cool feature, didn't know the Dragon Quest games had that. I haven't beaten any DQ games as of yet, got pretty far in the first one about 8 years ago or so, but for some reason I never finished it. I will try again sometime in the future!

Protoman

I've beaten South Park The Stick of Truth. Great game for my money, but I'm a South Park fan. Though I'll say it wasn't any of Matt & Trey's best writing. Seems that since they didn't have an issue to tackle they sort of devolved into gross-out a bit too often. Still, very funny and good.

Issun

Completed "Radia Senki: Reimeihen" on Famicom just now. Totally awesome game! Almost felt like a more modern 16bit RPG at times.

Zycrow

Beat Konami Wai Wai world tonight. The game was tough in some areas, but I had seen Arino complete it on one of the GCCX episodes, so I knew I could do it too.

Overall, I think the game suffers from some poor design choices - the level layouts are bland, the difficulty is all over the place - but the art and music is great and it's got that Konami flair. And since I was already a fan of most of the games represented on the cart, well, I was an easy sell. I'd like to track down the sequel too.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Protoman

Quote from: Zycrow on May 26, 2014, 08:37:58 pm
Overall, I think the game suffers from some poor design choices

Don't forget how you always walk 75% to the right of the screen instead of the middle making it easier for enemies to take you by surprise.

I beat Megaman X4 late last night, an boy was it hard. I had just recorded a top 10 hardest games I've ever beaten list and now I have to revise it. Having to beat all three forms of Sigma in one go felt very harsh. The only glimmer of hope was that the energy pickup just before Sigma came back after every life which (slowly) allowed me to refill my subtanks.
Sigma's first form is very easy but the second form wasn't, but eventually I got it down to beating him without getting hit when I knew what the trick to him was.
The final final form of him had it's little methods but was even harder and took a lot of tries as well.
When I beat it the time was 01:38 or so and I'm working today. But I couldn't give up either because I knew quitting and continuing meant having to beat all 8 mavericks again which is hard in itself without using up both subtanks.

Issun

I just finished Hanjuku Hero on Famicom. Just an excellent game overall! Highly recommended if you like strategy games or just want to try something different.

nerdynebraskan

Shockwave (NES)

I needed a walkthrough to solve about half of the last ten puzzles... There are some seriously cryptic levels in this one.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

Quote from: Protoman on May 27, 2014, 12:30:09 am
I beat Megaman X4 late last night, an boy was it hard. I had just recorded a top 10 hardest games I've ever beaten list and now I have to revise it. Having to beat all three forms of Sigma in one go felt very harsh. The only glimmer of hope was that the energy pickup just before Sigma came back after every life which (slowly) allowed me to refill my subtanks.
Sigma's first form is very easy but the second form wasn't, but eventually I got it down to beating him without getting hit when I knew what the trick to him was.
The final final form of him had it's little methods but was even harder and took a lot of tries as well.
When I beat it the time was 01:38 or so and I'm working today. But I couldn't give up either because I knew quitting and continuing meant having to beat all 8 mavericks again which is hard in itself without using up both subtanks.

Congratulations, I've beaten it a few times recently too, and I agree that it's brutal. Sigma's second form took me a while to learn, and his third form just made me feel helpless. I can beat it without E-tanks now, but it's always a close battle... almost too close...
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

L___E___T

I beat X5 and X6 but could never locate X4 at the time.  I have it on PSP now and will get it at some point.  I heard X6 was really bad for people, but apart from a\ couple of difficulty spikes it's by all means beatable.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Zycrow

Quote from: Protoman on May 27, 2014, 12:30:09 am
Quote from: Zycrow on May 26, 2014, 08:37:58 pm
Overall, I think the game suffers from some poor design choices

Don't forget how you always walk 75% to the right of the screen instead of the middle making it easier for enemies to take you by surprise.

Yeah, the scrolling is pretty bad.

X4 was probably the only PSX-era Mega Man X game that I really enjoyed. I never actually completed X6. It's been a long while since I played through it, but I do remember the Sigma battle being pretty tough.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

tomservo

Kung Fu for NES, that game seemed a whole lot harder when I was a kid. I stopped after it started repeating itself.

BonBon

Valis genesis first run a lot easier then I expected  :-[

Protoman

Quote from: Jay-ray on May 29, 2014, 08:01:45 pm
Valis genesis first run a lot easier then I expected  :-[

Good for you, I got stuck on the 2-headed dragon myself, it just didn't want to die...

P

NintendoKing