Family BASIC/homebrew board

Started by zmaster18, May 20, 2015, 06:45:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zmaster18

I know it's been said before, a looong time ago, that there simply isn't enough demand for a separate Famicom BASIC board. I have to disagree, there are quite a few people here who would benefit from learning together on the forum and sharing tips and tricks. And if there is no board to be created, where would the appropriate place to post about BASIC-related stuff be? You know, there aren't any good websites in english on the topic of Family BASIC. I feel that having a new board could have a great, thriving community for us Famicom programmers. I believe many people would join Famicom World just to partake in the BASIC discussions.

What's holding back on the creation of a new board?

P

Family BASIC threads aren't exactly appearing daily, but there are many good threads on the subject in the forum. What about a Family BASIC sticky that links to all useful threads?

UglyJoe

That could probably be arranged.  Would keep me from having to search for them every time ;D

zmaster18

Good, I'm glad you guys are considering this. This would be a great resource for all things concerning BASIC.

L___E___T

Bloody good idea - might be convenient to link through from any front page FamiBasic articles as well, once set up.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NintendoKing

If someone hack Family Basic into English and made a reproduction cartridge then I'd be up for owning it but otherwise it's way to beyond me in Japanese.

P

Funny you'd mention that, I did try to translate the ROM once. I translated about half of the script or more and tried inserting parts of it just to see how it looked like, but since I didn't know how to move things around without breaking anything I just tried to fit it inside the ROM as it was. Inserting an English translated script over the Japanese original script like this is like trying to shove an elephant through a needle eye though, so I had to make heavy adjustments to the script. It didn't resemble the original script much or even proper English anymore. ;D

I think all my work is on my computer that refuses to boot though. It's too bad because I had made a table file, combed the ROM for strings, wrote down the offset for everything that resembled a string, and translated a good chunk of the script (it was much more than I thought).

With some help, I'm not above trying again though. Anyone up for it?

UglyJoe

July 05, 2015, 05:57:02 pm #7 Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 07:05:50 pm by UglyJoe
Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on July 05, 2015, 12:21:39 pm
If someone hack Family Basic into English and made a reproduction cartridge then I'd be up for owning it but otherwise it's way to beyond me in Japanese.

The only part of the cart that relies on Japanese is the extra crap in the 2.1 ROM -- the calculator and the notebook, etc.  It's pretty worthless.  The BASIC section is the only important one and that doesn't require any Japanese language skills.

Post Merge: July 05, 2015, 07:05:50 pm

Quote from: P on July 04, 2015, 02:47:23 pm
What about a Family BASIC sticky that links to all useful threads?

Getting this started: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=11959.0

P

July 06, 2015, 03:53:21 am #8 Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:22:31 am by P
Quote from: UglyJoe on July 05, 2015, 05:57:02 pm
Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on July 05, 2015, 12:21:39 pm

The only part of the cart that relies on Japanese is the extra crap in the 2.1 ROM -- the calculator and the notebook, etc.  It's pretty worthless.  The BASIC section is the only important one and that doesn't require any Japanese language skills.

Yeah BASIC mode is already fully in English, so for programming you don't need the translation at all. Most of the Japanese text in the ROM is actually the fortune telling part. The rest is for entering your name and the calculator and stuff. This is completely separate from the BASIC mode and honestly not very exciting. I still would like to translate it someday though.

Since V3 only has BASIC mode the only Japanese in that ROM is a few lines in the built-in games. That doesn't even require a hack to translate (you can alter the code yourself).

Post Merge: July 06, 2015, 07:22:31 am

Quote from: UglyJoe on July 05, 2015, 05:57:02 pm
Getting this started: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=11959.0
You forgot to sticky it. :)