BEST Famicom exclusive?

Started by Protoman, July 16, 2015, 04:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zycrow

July 21, 2015, 05:40:46 am #30 Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:32:13 pm by Zycrow
Love your year-by-year rundown, M-Tee. Nuts & Milk and Mappy are pretty high on my to-own list.

Also I don't think we've mentioned Goonies, which is a great pre-1987 platformer. Maybe that one got a Euro release, I'm not sure - I know it did show up in US arcades as well.

I really enjoy a lot of the early Hudson and Namco games, just for their simple arcade feel.
And speaking of Hudson...

Quote from: chowder on July 17, 2015, 01:55:42 pm
Challenger.  I love that game for some reason.

Me too! Can't really explain why - it's not exactly a great game - but when I sit down to play FC for just a few minutes, I tend to go to either that one or Star Force. I'd never heard of Challenger before watching its episode on GameCenter CX.

Post Merge: July 21, 2015, 12:32:13 pm

Quote from: L___E___T on July 20, 2015, 08:56:29 am
I for one have never understood that - are certain regions in the States THAT sensitive?  England is obviously a Christian country and we've never had any problem with Christian imagery in popular culture, even The Life of Brian was deemed acceptable overall back in the late 70s and early 80s (although there was some vocal opposition)..

I've never understood how having a meager cross in games was a massive problem, is it a Catholic thing?

Oh, I meant to respond to this as well. I've spent most of my life in those "certain regions," and yes, people will go nuts over the dumbest things. Name any reasonably popular cartoon or children's property in the 80s or 90s and I guarantee there were religious people picking them apart to find all the juicy satanism. Our kids are having fun, satan must be involved somehow!

Dungeons & Dragons infamously suffered from this in the late 80s and it resulted in the writers changing the overtly judeo-christian elements (such as demons/devils) into more nonspecific fantasy elements for a while. It surprises me not at all that Nintendo wanted to avoid this type of thing (although ironically, D&D sales bumped way up thanks to all the media exposure).
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

M-Tee

Challenger's coming up on my list, for sure. I totally love that game.

Moseng

July 23, 2015, 03:39:31 am #32 Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:04:39 am by Moseng
Quote from: Great Hierophant on July 16, 2015, 08:00:57 am
I would add Gimmick and Just Breed for completeness' sake.

Adding Gimmick is a good decision so far by you. Go for it.

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

Quote from: Moseng on July 23, 2015, 03:39:31 am

Besides the fact that, as previously stated, it isn't a Famicom exclusive. :///////
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Great Hierophant

Quote from: Nightstar699 on July 23, 2015, 05:15:22 am
Quote from: Moseng on July 23, 2015, 03:39:31 am

Besides the fact that, as previously stated, it isn't a Famicom exclusive. :///////

It was unless you lived in Scandanavia :P
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Nightstar699

I see what you're getting at, but an obscure/limited release is still a release. Otherwise I'd have listed Daiku No Gen-San/Hammerin' Harry as part of my initial post.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

L___E___T

July 23, 2015, 09:31:01 am #37 Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 10:27:38 am by L___E___T
Yeah, just cos a game didn't come out in the States, that doesn't make it even a bit of an exclusive to the format.  It came out on the NES and exists in 72 pins, that means it is not an exclusive.

If you go down that route then I could go on and on about how X game was a Famicom exclusive because it only came out here in 50hz and in limited quantities. 

It aint the same, the US does not count differently just because it's a bigger country or home turf ;)
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Great Hierophant

Many of those PAL games were released in limited quantities, totally unknown to the larger U.S. market and would not work correctly in a U.S. machine due to the timing differences between 50Hz and 60Hz machines.  Also, unless the game came out in both the PAL-A and PAL-B region, it was not generally playable in the PAL territories.  It is admittedly stretching the "Best Famicom exclusive" category, but not by much.  Also, Gimmick! has a sound chip that was not present in Mr. Gimmick!.  So does Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, but CV3 had a wide release.

Post Merge: July 23, 2015, 10:32:12 am

Quote from: Great Hierophant on July 23, 2015, 10:31:09 am
Many of those PAL games were released in limited quantities, totally unknown to the larger U.S. market and would not work correctly in a U.S. machine due to the timing differences between 50Hz and 60Hz machines.  Also, unless the game came out in both the PAL-A and PAL-B region, it was not generally playable in the PAL territories (how to disable the lockout chip was not common knowledge in the NES era).  It is admittedly stretching the "Best Famicom exclusive" category, but not by much.  Also, Gimmick! has a sound chip that was not present in Mr. Gimmick!.  So does Akumajou Densetsu/Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse, but CV3 had a wide release.
Check out my retro gaming and computing blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Nightstar699

But you see, I wouldn't count Akumajou Densetsu as a Famicom exclusive. As superior as the Japanese version is to its Western counterparts, that'd just be blatantly untrue. Having regional differences doesn't automatically make one release a different game from the other. Otherwise, hell, most the good games on the system would be Famicom exclusives, just due to minor text/title differences.

I think it's silly to count Gimmick as a Famicom exclusive just because its Scandinavian release is so rare, that's essentially saying that a game doesn't exist if it's hard to find.

Also, has anyone mentioned Robocco Wars yet? Good game!

P

What's so obscure about Scandinavia?  :)
This thread is about Famicom exclusives (I interpret that as non-bootleg 60-pin games), if one wants to discuss non-US releases one should just make a thread for that. M-Tee has a point in checking if any of the listed exclusives had 72-pin Asian releases as well.

Ghegs

Captain Saver is Famicom-exclusive. I know it was released in limited quantities in USA as Power Blade 2, but that doesn't count because I'm not American. It wasn't released here, after all.

zmaster18

I totally agree with M-TEE's best 1983 an 1984 Famicom exclusives. Good reviews. Gomoku Narabe(connect 5) is a great game for non-gamers as well. It's very simple to play and is a great logical board game. I also really like Popeye's English. It's great for practicing reading katakana and learning some new vocab.

M-Tee

Famicom Games Better Than their Localized Counterparts

and

Famicom Games Improved Upon By Their Localized Counterparts

are both different conversations that are very much worth having, and could each support their own thread.

Games that weren't Famicom Exclusives because they were Released in Limited Markets are worth mentioning in this conversation, but should clearly be labeled as such. For all intents and purposes, someone new to Famicom collecting and making a wishlist could very well benefit from their inclusion in the discussion. 

That's the way I'll be interpreting it at least.

@zmaster
These are the characters used in Popeye's English.

I guess it is katakana only. I believe I referred to it incorrectly as hiragana, and should probably edit that.

Anyways, '83 and '84 didn't have many exclusives. '85 and '86 will probably kick up some conversation though, as there were quite a few.

Mo-hd

My favorites:

Atlantis no Nazo
Captain Tsubasa 2: Super Striker
Hino Tori: Hououhen Gaou no Bouken

Great games and enjoyable. :)