incorect Windows XP icon for 5.25" floppy

Started by FAMICOM_87, February 01, 2019, 08:22:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FAMICOM_87

Windows XP is the only WIndows OS not having a proper icon for 5.25" floppy so I decided to create one  :crazy:

As you can see other windows versions have proper icons for 5.25" floppy , only XP borrowed it from 98!!!

P

Jedi Master Baiter

Ooh! Great work! It looks so seamless.

I'm a bit taken aback that Windows 7/10 even have these icons. I mean, how many people still use 5.25" floppies and on recent hardware? I can understand legacy hardware.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on February 12, 2019, 06:58:39 pm
I mean, how many people still use 5.25" floppies and on recent hardware?

I am one of them   ;D  :-[

P

How do you do that?

I'm a bit taken aback that Windows 7/10 even have these icons. I mean, how many people still use 5.25" floppies and on recent hardware? I can understand legacy hardware.

Yeah especially considering they removed support for floppies in Windows 10 drivers, or so I heard.

I bought a new computer and tried to install my old drives only to realize that the modern motherboard didn't support the old connections. Had to get a special USB 3.5" floppy drive for my floppy needs. Had to buy the internal speaker separately as well and install some patch to make Windows 7 use it. 100% IBM-compatible my ass.

I have no idea how you get a 5.25" to even work on a modern machine.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: P on February 13, 2019, 03:20:52 am
How do you do that?

Yeah especially considering they removed support for floppies in Windows 10 drivers, or so I heard.

I bought a new computer and tried to install my old drives only to realize that the modern motherboard didn't support the old connections. Had to get a special USB 3.5" floppy drive for my floppy needs. Had to buy the internal speaker separately as well and install some patch to make Windows 7 use it. 100% IBM-compatible my ass.

I have no idea how you get a 5.25" to even work on a modern machine.

haha my machine is not so modern , the motherboard is from 2007 and it have floppy and IDE ATA connectors :) the only modification was to force the BIOS to use 2 floppies at once and by a switch enabling the second floppy. I am not sure when they removed those connectors compliantly from the motherboards.
Windows 10 support all sizes floppy types, but probably can not format them ,my be only 1.44 like XP and 7,
But with those CMD commands you can format all types of drives on any Windows up to 10 :) :
FORMAT A: /T:40 /N:9   for 360K
FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9   for 720K
FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:15  for 1.2M
FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:18  for 1.44M
;)

P

I see, I just heard that installing the USB floppy is hard on Windows 10 because they removed support for floppies.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: P on February 13, 2019, 11:31:29 am
I see, I just heard that installing the USB floppy is hard on Windows 10 because they removed support for floppies.

As you can see there are drivers in windows 7 and up to 10 for FDDs  8)

P

So what I heard much have been incorrect.

The esynic USB floppy I got seems to be hard to install on Windows 10 I heard. But it may be unrelated to drivers.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: P on February 15, 2019, 02:41:39 pm
So what I heard much have been incorrect.

The esynic USB floppy I got seems to be hard to install on Windows 10 I heard. But it may be unrelated to drivers.

Bay be you are right check this forum may be there is a solution
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/usb-floppy-disk-drives-not-working-in-windows-10/ba036314-5987-4293-9223-0c053335d5f4?page=2

P

Oh thanks but I use Windows 7 so it was just plug and play.