March 28, 2024, 11:22:08 am

Capture Card help

Started by DDCecil, November 27, 2018, 12:00:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DDCecil

I bought an Elgato Video Capture card (this one: https://amzn.to/2TUjzev)

and while all of my NES, SNES, 3DO, PSP, etc... games look good, Genesis and Colecovision/2600 games look like this:
https://youtu.be/tkmkHKTvyFE

Is there a way to fix it, or do I need to buy another capture card?

nintendodork

Could you post what the game should normally look like? or maybe a more colorful example?

do you have any other cables to test with your consoles with? are you using an RF demodulator for the 2600/CV? my first suggestion would be to try another set of video cables, perhaps some with s-video if possible. Also, try first plugging those consoles into a VCR/DVD player as a passthrough and see if they display fine on your TV, then go from VCR/DVD to capture card.

never used an elgato before but i would also check its software settings to make sure it doesn't default any particular type of a connection to an unusual colorspace or broadcast standard (maybe it's stuck in PAL?)
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

DDCecil

It worked on my HD TV via the VCR through RF, but on the capture card software, it still looks the same. I guess I'll try VirtualDub and see if I can get that to work with it or get a S-Video cord for the system.

On TV:

On PC Monitor:

FAMICOM_87

What are the options on "preferences" button  :question:

DDCecil

FAMICOM_87

So no settings for video standards (NTSC/PAL/SECAM)
Try different better capture software

nintendodork

June 26, 2019, 09:01:00 am #6 Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:40:18 am by nintendodork
I would also make sure your elgato capture drivers are updated. Another free capture software that I've had success with is OBS. Seems pretty versatile.

I think trying S-video (or some other video input on the card) is pretty crucial here, it could possibly show you that the composite input on your capture card is faulty. If it still outputs the weird colors with S-video, I would try OBS. If that doesn't work, i think you should ask for a refund/buy a different capture card. I have spent a lot of time researching reliable capture devices and have found that pretty much anything that involves USB 2.0 is a no-go. Cheap, sure, but you get what you pay for.

Though I don't retro game much these days, I'm still very interested in capturing SD video because of my interest in analog video synthesis, which requires reliable hardware in order to display video properly. Blackmagic makes a slew of great video capture solutions, but you'd be lucky if you found any of their products for under $200.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat