Problem with copied disks but not with “genuine” disks

Started by paulhannon, December 03, 2019, 08:26:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

paulhannon

Hello all,

Whenever I try to play a copied disk I get the error 27 but never really get it when I play a Nintendo stamped disk.
Sometimes they will recognise that I have inserted them in the wrong way round and give that A-B error, but they never load.
The official disks work normally first time, BUT if I try play a dud disk it can take a couple of attempts before one of the official disks will play again.
I've replaced the belt, recalibrated and even tried changing the power supply from battery to mains.

Is there anything else I could try before I throw all these disks away. I have 50 or so of them I got off eBay and no luck with any of them.

Thanks;)

fcgamer

Whatever you do, please don't throw them away. I'd gladly work something out for them, and likewise I know a few others that would be interested too.

To get them up and running, you'd likely need a disk copier or something of that nature. Quick question though, are these bootleg disks or just rewritten disks?
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

If it's a Game Doctor disk or something they may need a Game Doctor to run.

If they are home-rewritten they probably only work on the drive they were rewritten on. In that case there is no choice but to rewrite them again on a properly adjusted drive. Too bad that no one knows how to properly adjust a disk drive so that the disks will work on any other properly adjusted drive (some claim that they do but they are suspiciously secret about it and don't tell anyone, so we can only assume that they are lying).

paulhannon

Thanks for the responses.
I believe they are bootlegs as the Nintendo stamping isn't there, just blanked or on two disks it's a poor attempt at copying the official copyright protection stamp.

I'm in New Zealand and happy to give them a new home if you're interested in working something out let me know.

Question: I should be still good to buy official disks and for them to work, you think??

Thanks again

P

Even if they are non-genuine disks, they may still just be rewritten disks. Only the previous owners would know.

Not sure if I understand the question. You say that official disks works on your drive, so I don't see why other official disks shouldn't. Just that even official disks may be home-rewritten by a previous owner, and they may be demagnetized, broken or corrupted if you are unlucky. If you don't want that you should buy disks that was tested by the seller.

ericj

Quote from: paulhannon on December 03, 2019, 08:26:07 pm
The official disks work normally first time, BUT if I try play a dud disk it can take a couple of attempts before one of the official disks will play again.

Is there anything else I could try before I throw all these disks away. I have 50 or so of them I got off eBay and no luck with any of them.

The pirated disk surfaces have probably degraded a bit and they're depositing stuff on the drive's magnetic head, which is affecting the ability to read the official disks.You can clean the head with isopropyl alcohol, and you'll probably have to clean it often with these disks. I have a drive that I keep the screws out of so I can access this easier. One of those disk cleaner devices may be helpful to clean the disk surfaces since they're a pain to clean without one.

boye

Can we have photos of the disks? That way, we can know if it's a type of disk known for kicking the bucket.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.