What are you doing during the Coronavirus Lockdowns?

Started by senseiman, April 16, 2020, 12:11:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

senseiman

Just curious if anyone is playing more Famicom during the lockdown!  Or doing anything else interesting.

I've got two little kids to manage so I haven't had much time for the Famicom but am thinking of breaking it out and teaching my oldest (5 years) how to play Pac Man. 

Kiddo

We're not on full lockdown here in Iceland so I'm still going to work every day. The contagion is on the downwards slope right now and over all we've not had as much trouble with the virus as many other nations. My son (6) is still going to school for 2 hours each day, the girl (2) can go to preschool every other day but is staying home with my wife most of the time, as she is pregnant 8 months and doesn't want to risk an infection.

During the weekends we mostly stay at home. Do some baking, board games, go on short walks and even some video games. I got my boy a preowned 3DS that we've been playing New Super Mario Bros. on. We have worked our way up to World 8 already  :D

Retro gaming wise we sometimes play Yoshi's Island on our Mini Snes. It's such a simple happy looking game with (so far) a pretty low difficulty level, so it's perfect for a 6 year old.

senseiman

April 19, 2020, 06:48:35 pm #2 Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:39:15 am by senseiman
Hey cool, our kids are almost exactly the same age (my son is 5, daughter is 2).

We've been doing a lot of that too, also lots of drawing and arts and crafts.

On saturday it was raining so I decided to hook my Famicom up to the TV for my son for the first time ever. We played SMb, Ice Climber, Pac Man, Galaxian and a couple others. It is now his favorite thing in the world. He doesn't know that it is an old system, he just knows that it is fun! Its been a lot of fun introducing it to him, but now I've had to start taking it away a bit since he is already getting addicted!

https://famicomblog.blogspot.com/2020/04/putting-family-in-family-computer.html

adori_12

A few days ago I finished all the homework I had, and now I am finally able to keep on playing some Famicom!

This school year has been the weirdest I've ever had. In 2020, I literally only went to high school for 10 days, since the feminist student group seized the campus since January. Two months passed, and right when we were about to resume classes Coronavirus happened and we had to compensate four months of inactivity with some bare-bones assignments that allegedly covered all of the knowledge that, by this point, we were supposed to have.

So, this lockdown hasn't really been that bad, given that I already had nearly four months of absolutely nothing to do. The fact that Mexico hasn't officially declared a total lockdown means I still can go out to some places, although they're all empty. :(
I bought a decent amount of Famicom goodies that haven't touched yet, and I think it's time to do it!
Quote from: Kiddo on April 17, 2020, 02:45:26 pmRetro gaming wise we sometimes play Yoshi's Island on our Mini Snes. It's such a simple happy looking game with (so far) a pretty low difficulty level, so it's perfect for a 6 year old.
Yoshi's Island gets pretty difficult when you get to the later worlds. In fact some of the extra levels are insanely hard; up to this day I haven't 100% beat the game because that Kamek's Revenge level is ridiculous, you can't fail a single jump, or else you won't get all red coins and flowers. I hope your son doesn't have as much trouble with the game as I had.  :-\
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

senseiman

Quote from: adori_12 on April 21, 2020, 12:43:09 amI bought a decent amount of Famicom goodies that haven't touched yet, and I think it's time to do it!

Now would be the perfect time to do so :)

Kiddo

Quote from: senseiman on April 19, 2020, 06:48:35 pmIt is now his favorite thing in the world. He doesn't know that it is an old system, he just knows that it is fun! Its been a lot of fun introducing it to him, but now I've had to start taking it away a bit since he is already getting addicted!

It's the same here to the letter. He's not aware that any of this stuff is old, he's just discovering video games. Aaand it's also becoming somewhat of a problem as it's also what his mind is mostly dwelling on these days, which influences his drawings and arts and crafts as well...

I'm just thankful summer is finally here so he can go outside to play with his friends  ;D

Quote from: adori_12 on April 21, 2020, 12:43:09 amYoshi's Island gets pretty difficult when you get to the later worlds. In fact some of the extra levels are insanely hard; up to this day I haven't 100% beat the game because that Kamek's Revenge level is ridiculous, you can't fail a single jump, or else you won't get all red coins and flowers. I hope your son doesn't have as much trouble with the game as I had.  :-\

We're still at World 3 and some of the levels are starting to become quite difficult for his skill level. Thankfully old dad still has some of his hand-eye coordination so so far we've managed  :D

TanookiSuitSam

I actually came back here because I've been trying to scout some deals on Famicom games. Heh.
hi

senseiman

Quote from: Kiddo on April 27, 2020, 11:11:52 amIt's the same here to the letter. He's not aware that any of this stuff is old, he's just discovering video games. Aaand it's also becoming somewhat of a problem as it's also what his mind is mostly dwelling on these days, which influences his drawings and arts and crafts as well...

I hear that!

In addition to strictly limiting our kid's video game time (1 hour a day max), we also are always sure that one of us is playing with him, rather than him playing alone.  I think that helps a lot by preventing gaming from being an isolating activity and instead making it a bonding one. 

Awesome artwork BTW!  Yesterday my son and I made Mario characters out of Legos, so its influencing us that way too!

daver

adori_12

Ummm, we are in quarantine, you can't do that...
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

killiah

May 27, 2020, 11:16:57 pm #10 Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:25:44 am by killiah
I mainly play online games. But from time to time I have problem with access to some games. So I started to check vpn tool https://veepn.com/ because vpn is important app now when you can not get access to some forbidden websites

Jedi Master Baiter

I've been working overtime nearly everyday, but the payload is finally starting to lighten up. So I'm back down to 8-hour days, and I get President's Day off. Woohoo! ;D

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Here's an e-card:

Sentientprism

I've been working my way to get a famicom

Funnily enough Ive been playing the games for so long without the original system, I'm planning on getting an AV mod and finally playing these awesome games on real hardware  ;D
Anyone remember the name of that weird Japanese NES?

Jedi Master Baiter

Sounds like what I did for 4 years, but I used an NES and a converter. Then I finally dropped some  :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: and got an AV Famicom. There's nothing like hearing expansion sound on real hardware. :redcart:

ID415

Sitting around, no work no nothing but I've been vaccinated now and back to normal.