Dedicated FDS Flash Cart (photos)

Started by famiac, July 02, 2020, 04:57:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

famiac

Hey all. Just finished this fun little project:

It's a re-housed HVC-023 RAM adapter with an internally mounted FDSstick.

I had a spare RAM adapter PCB, so i bought one of these vertical replacement PCBs that are supposed to fit in MMC5 game cases.

Well, i didn't have a cable to go with the PCB, so, to make this useful for portable consoles or the toaster NES, i mounted an FDSstick internally and fitted the button + USB connector to the case. I also designed a label, which you can download (300dpi).

If you want to do the same, all i did was chop the FDSstick PCB and solder the RAM adapter internal connector wires to the test points on the FDSstick.

The wires in this photo follow roughly the same color coding as the original cable. Please disregard the grey wire. I was repairing a trace i had cut by accident.

Here is a picture of the cartridge in action:

Please post here if you have questions/comments  ;D

schnuth

nintendodork

Dude this is awesome! A few years ago this would have had these forums blowing up, I'm sure. Nice work. :)
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Elrinth

famiac

Quote from: nintendodork on August 03, 2020, 08:59:09 amDude this is awesome! A few years ago this would have had these forums blowing up, I'm sure. Nice work. :)

Thanks, old friend ;)
Facebook killed the BBcode star

Quote from: Elrinth on August 11, 2020, 02:06:43 amCan you make me one aswell? :D

No, but i can help clarify instructions on how to make your own. I'm glad you're interested though!

zombie343

This is incredible!

Can you tell me where you got the cartridge shell? I see Muramasa has similar shells, but yours has a sick Nintendo logo on the top left! Can you show us a picture of the internals? curious how you got the usb port extended to the top.

Is it possible to share your label? I'd like to change it slightly to make an NES cart version ...and your label just looks too good!

Jedi Master Baiter

So cool! I like how it's all black and emo gothic vampire. Just like the RAM Adapter.

Does the back have the RAM Adapter warning?

zombie343

Here's to hoping for a reply from the OP in 2022. :)

zombie343

March 16, 2022, 05:52:04 am #8 Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:28:18 am by zombie343
Which MMC5 game case has Nintendo embossed on it like that?

P

Hmm real MMC5 shells usually says "FAMICOM". I guess it's a repro.

zombie343

Thank you for your answer @P. That will help me hunt it down. I'm attempting this and about ~80% done. I would like to print a nice label for it.