Famicom Disc - FMD - POWER 05

Started by Ashj78, January 12, 2021, 07:46:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashj78

Hi all,

I have an old disc system which was dead when I got it. I cleaned the pins on the Ram Adapter and got the load screen and changed the belt successfully. But I get no power. I've tried batteries and a Megadrive supply (I'm based in the UK) and still nothing. I've tested the disc drive power board for continuity and I'm FAIRLY confident the capacitors are good. Anywhere else I should be looking? Can a defect in the adapter cause it to not power on? Sorry if this has come up before but I've searched the other threads and anything that seems similar hasn't had a resolution. Thanks in advance for any help!

P

Since you see the load screen, I doubt the RAM adapter is defective to the point that disks won't work at all (unless if the pins in the connector to the disk drive are dirty or something).

I can't think of anything obvious that you might have missed though, so the problem is maybe a bit more complex. Recapping might be an idea though.

Ashj78

February 08, 2021, 02:45:20 am #2 Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 05:35:28 am by Ashj78
Thanks for getting back. I've recapped the disk drive, the power board and the adapter, I've reflowed everything and cleaned the pins on the connectors. What's happening now is that when I plug in the disk system and power on the Famicom, the red LED light on my AV mod goes out. So I feel like the system is maybe ok now but the AV mod on the Famicom might be the weak link for some reason. Not sure why as the disk drive has it's own power but I find it odd. Any ideas?

P

Ashj78

jacobsan13

I feel I might be having a similar problem I got my fds recently off of eBay and as far as I know it is fine and the belt was replaced and that is fine too and the batteries I put in were new and yet I get the error 02 anyone know what,is going on. I don't have an original adapter for the fds and I don't want to try an adapter I have since the in is American boltage a.c. even through its in the,9v 700mah dc power on the output.I just don't want to mess up my Fds.

ericj

Quote from: jacobsan13 on February 24, 2021, 06:52:05 pmI don't have an original adapter for the fds and I don't want to try an adapter I have since the in is American boltage a.c. even through its in the,9v 700mah dc power on the output.I just don't want to mess up my Fds.

You'll be fine with the adapter as long as the center barrel is negative (-) and the output is at least 7V and 500mA. The same type that works with your Famicom will work with the FDS.

P

The voltage should probably not be above 10 V though as it would become hot.