Recreated FDS Game Labels

Started by RazorX, January 04, 2022, 01:14:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorX

January 04, 2022, 01:14:55 pm Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 04:52:30 pm by RazorX
Hey guys i'm new to the scene so i don't know much about the FDS, I have one arriving soon which i plan on modding to allow me to also write to the disks in case i ever need to redo them for whatever reason as well as just messing around with it for fun :D
I also plan on making myself some disks that were only available from instore disk writers when they were a thing such as The Goonies, Because of this i have decided to recreate the disk labels so i'm starting from a much higher quality source and i thought i'd share them with you all in case others also find these useful.

Here is what i have made so far:

Akumajou Dracula
Original:

Mine:

Bodycon Quest I - Abakareshi Musumetachi
Original:

Mine:

Doki Doki Panic
Original:

Mine:

Donkey Kong Jr.
Original:

Mine:

Esper Dream
Original:

Mine:

Metroid
Original:

Mine:

Super Mario Bros.
Original:

Mine:

Super Mario Bros. 2
Original:

Mine:

The Goonies
Original:

Mine:

The Legend of Zelda
Original:

Mine:

The Legend of Zelda 2
Original:

Mine:

I wasn't going for 100% accuracy of course but i did want them all to look as close as i could get them while keeping them fairly consistent, I hope you all think i've achieved that with what i've done so far :D

portnoyd

https://www.nerdspaceship.com/famicom/

This is probably up your alley.

An aside, there's really no point in trying to get "original" Diskwriter games anymore. The bootleg labels and cards are near perfect and you'd never be able to tell if you have a real thing. Dropping the cash on something like Clu Clu Land is a colossal mistake now. Even Yahoo Japan sellers are outright saying that their disk labels are fake.

I intend to finish FDS but it won't include Diskwriter only titles. At least with retail titles, I can buy complete copies because no one has knocked off the manuals... yet and I know they are real.

RazorX

Quote from: portnoyd on January 04, 2022, 02:43:15 pmhttps://www.nerdspaceship.com/famicom/

This is probably up your alley.

An aside, there's really no point in trying to get "original" Diskwriter games anymore. The bootleg labels and cards are near perfect and you'd never be able to tell if you have a real thing. Dropping the cash on something like Clu Clu Land is a colossal mistake now. Even Yahoo Japan sellers are outright saying that their disk labels are fake.

I intend to finish FDS but it won't include Diskwriter only titles. At least with retail titles, I can buy complete copies because no one has knocked off the manuals... yet and I know they are real.
i think you misunderstood me :) i was referring to when i have modded my disk station so i can write to disks i was likely just going to buy some cheap disks and write some of the disk writer only games to them, mainly for fun but also just to try them out although i also have an FDSStick so it's not a big deal either way.
but you're right, i wouldn't pay stupid prices for one that someone else has likely done the exact same thing i was going to do, if i do them it will just be to try out and for just me.

as for the labels i just wanted to make my own high quality ones that were pretty consistent and faithful to the originals but not so close that it couldn't be mistaken for the original, although there isn't much chance of that i think :) from what i've seen the originals aren't exactly high quality but then again they didn't have to be if the idea was to just write a different game on the disk after you were done with it anyway.

oh i should also point out that i'm in the UK so it wouldn't be worth me buying repro labels from the USA because it wouldn't be worth the shipping and like i said, i'm just doing this for fun and if someone else can get some use out of them then i'm happy with that.

portnoyd

That's my fault - my post wasn't directed at you. Apologies for that... mainly just venting since I now realize the handful of Diskwriter games that I do have, I have no way to tell if real or not but I definitely paid real prices.

Ack! I missed your location. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a vendor in the UK though.

RazorX

Quote from: portnoyd on January 04, 2022, 04:39:46 pmThat's my fault - my post wasn't directed at you. Apologies for that... mainly just venting since I now realize the handful of Diskwriter games that I do have, I have no way to tell if real or not but I definitely paid real prices.

Ack! I missed your location. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a vendor in the UK though.
Yeah i can understand that, It sucks for the collecting community and i can imagine you never know what you're going to get.
I'm just doing this for fun and checking out a system i've never seen or played irl but i can imagine if i wanted to collect for the fds it would be a nightmare.

RazorX

my famicom disk system is now fully modded and i bought four really cheap disk games and rewrote them as well as printed off my recreated labels and covers, here is the result for the four fds disks i currently have:

Jase

Nice work! :)

How did you create and print the new labels? Photoshop?

RazorX

Quote from: Jase on January 27, 2022, 12:10:58 amNice work! :)

How did you create and print the new labels? Photoshop?
thank you

i just made them in gimp from various assets i could find that would be better quality than just a scan or picture of the original as well as in some cases, taking parts off the original pic or scan and doing my best to clean them up etc.
as for how i printed them i just used fairly cheap costing glossy A4 label paper as i wasn't super concerned about getting the absolute best quality labels as that would cost a lot of money when i could always just get a close enough one for cheaper and if need be just print more off.
the printer i use is a HP ENVY Photo 7134.

as for the covers themselves i also did a similar thing with them when it comes to redoing them so they are as high quality as i can do without spending a crazy amount of time on them and then i printed them on thin photo paper.

Jase

Quote from: RazorX on January 28, 2022, 07:28:25 ami just made them in gimp from various assets i could find that would be better quality than just a scan or picture of the original as well as in some cases, taking parts off the original pic or scan and doing my best to clean them up etc.

GIMP eh? That's my go-to program for whenever I need to do visual stuff. Even better that it's free. :)

Quote from: RazorX on January 28, 2022, 07:28:25 amas for how i printed them i just used fairly cheap costing glossy A4 label paper as i wasn't super concerned about getting the absolute best quality labels as that would cost a lot of money when i could always just get a close enough one for cheaper and if need be just print more off.
the printer i use is a HP ENVY Photo 7134.

as for the covers themselves i also did a similar thing with them when it comes to redoing them so they are as high quality as i can do without spending a crazy amount of time on them and then i printed them on thin photo paper.

Cool, thanks for giving me the lowdown. This is really impressive stuff. If I had an FDS, I'd pay you to print the labels for me.

P

Yup Gimp is a great free alternative to Photoshop.

If I were you I would mark any rewritten games somehow, and do rewrites very sparingly. Home-rewrites has a tendency to only work on the FDS drive that wrote it.

RazorX

Quote from: P on February 02, 2022, 02:20:53 pmYup Gimp is a great free alternative to Photoshop.

If I were you I would mark any rewritten games somehow, and do rewrites very sparingly. Home-rewrites has a tendency to only work on the FDS drive that wrote it.
i am only doing these for a couple of games for myself, partially for fun and partially just to try them out from disks.
plus it keeps me busy in my free time haha
but if anyone needs replacement stickers and wants to print them off themselves then they can use mine or maybe ask me to make a different one and if i have the free time i will try to do so.

P

Marking the disks is for future reference, both for yourself in case you forget and for future generations.

RazorX