One word translation help wanted

Started by emerson, October 16, 2022, 04:46:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

emerson

I am trying to create a simple demo in Family Basic for my buddy's music project Hyper Cruise and need to translate the project name to katakana. Below is what I believe to be correct. The top half is copied from the translation website and the bottom half is copied from the Family Basic character set. Could someone please confirm I have this correct?

The translation website I used: https://www.sljfaq.org/cgi/e2k.cgi?word=hypercruise

You cannot see attachments on this board.

P

The first one "ハイパークルーズ" (haipaakuruuzu) is indeed correct, but the second one from the character set is wrong. You got a "ケ" (ke) instead of a "ク" (ku), they look similar but not identical.

emerson

Thanks for the response P!

I see now, that is a subtle difference isn't it? After studying my Family Basic keyboard along with pages 108 and 109 of the manual I think I have it. My mistake was working directly from a tile editor where the "ke" symbol tile looked more accurate than the "ku" symbol tile.

This should be correct now.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

P

Yep now it's correct.

This is an example of a character that may not be so easy to tell the difference if not familiar enough with the various ways of writing it (ク looks kinda weird in the Family BASIC font) or not being familiar with the stroke order (ク is 2 strokes and ケ is 3).

Jedi Master Baiter

I didn't want to create a new thread, but as I was going to buy something from Mercari, I saw this text at the top:

Quoteミシェル5/8まで発送遅れる出品あります - mercari
Does it mean what I think it means? :-\ Something, May 8, something going on, delayed until

P

Yeah, basically: Shipping for some items that are for sale are delayed until 5/8.
I don't understand who ミシェル (Michelle?) is, it's too out of context.

Jedi Master Baiter

P

I see, yeah it says ミシェル there.
If there had been a colon or something so it's clear that it's Michelle that is speaking it would be more clear. It's not like you say your own name before each sentence.

I guess a colon or some kind of white space was lost in the copypasta.