First Famicom Game with Female Main Character?

Started by JC, June 01, 2007, 02:59:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

There aren't very many games I can think of with a female main character. Does anyone know what the first one is? Metroid? Layla? Marusa no Onna?

Jedi Master Baiter

Athena? Valkyrie from Macross? Nana from Ice Climbers? I wish I had more.

Doc

satoshi_matrix

JC

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on June 01, 2007, 05:40:55 pm
Ms. Pac-man?

There's no Ms. Pac-Man for Famicom, right?

EDIT:

Ice Climber = 01/30/85
Macross = 12/10/85
Binary Land= 12/19/85
Metroid = 08/06/86
Layla = 12/20/86
Dirty Pair = 03/28/87
Athena = 06/05/87
Marusa no Onna = 09/19/89

kite200

ステキ

JC

Hmm. The only thing I could find on the lists is Hitomi Kobayashi's Hold Up by Hacker. Is that what this is, kite?

kite200

ステキ

satoshi_matrix

It wasn't the first, but probably the greatest game to feature a female lead in a Famicom game is Samus from Metroid, even though that's techincally the FDS.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on June 02, 2007, 06:28:13 am
It wasn't the first, but probably the greatest game to feature a female lead in a Famicom game is Samus from Metroid, even though that's techincally the FDS.

I was disappointed when she wasn't a candidate for best female character in a certain GamePro poll. :( Out of what they had there, Chun-Li was first, followed by Lara Croft, followed by someone, then Ulala was last. :P

This was before Metroid Prime. :-\

Doc

To be honest, I wouldn't count Ice Climber, since it's male AND female. And if you pick one player, you get Popo, automatically. Nana is on in two player mode.

JC

Yeah, you're probably right, JL. That's like saying Luigi is equal to Mario. I don't think so. :P Anyway, there have got to be more female main characters.

Jedi Master Baiter

I think Metroid was great; you're controlling this robotic looking thing & then find out all this time it was a female person. :o The manual is also good in keeping it a mystery.

Jabra

JC

Haha. Right. I should have noticed that since I just put screenshots on the Little Mermaid page. :-[