Famicom 8 Bit Music Power

Started by Yodd, February 04, 2016, 06:58:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

muckyfingers

I dumped the flash chips from my cart this weekend, the rom works fine on my Everdrive. I'm ordering the replacement 5v flash chips this week and hopefully I'll have a fully working, non overheating cartridge by next weekend.

Yelir

Quote from: Yodd on February 04, 2016, 06:58:58 am
Hey guys, I just posted a video on my YouTube channel, Todd's Nerd Cave, showing off the 8 Bit Music Power cart and thought you might be interested in seeing it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=enUdHU_FTv4

Feel free to subscribe and check out any of my other stuff.

Thank you for the nice demo.  :yoshi:

I wanted to get this initially because I love 8-bit/chiptune music and projects, but it looks like I'm late to the party...

I'll try to get the dump for my ED as well, maybe check my stash of systems for compatibility.  :'(

djdac

I got mine, it also works on the Retro Freak with the new patch update. Really digging it.

TripN

I got a copy of 8 Bit Music Power as a late birthday gift in February from someone very dear to me and I had to hang on to it until march to be able to try it out.
I bought a Famicom and it arrived around the 10th. When I first popped it in the console I wondered if it was just the Famicom not working, at that moment it was the only cartridge I had to test the Fami with.
I opened the Fami up and cleaned it out every part, gosh did it need it, especially the microphone (terrible humming).

Well, yesterday my copy of Rockman 4 arrived and helped straightened out a few things.
My Famicom works just fine (after cleaning), My CRT Tv wont pick the Famicom up on ch95 or 96, but my Tv tuner on an old winXP32 SP2 machine will pick it up through RF with a less than stellar picture however it is functional and I beat the game while streaming to hitbox.tv (I thinks I'll look into modding it's video and audio output method sometime soon, those mods should be within my abilities to perform).

The only way I can get 8 Bit Music Power to boot up is by doing that elec tape over pin32 trick, but that produces garbled graphics in the majority of the art, and I doubt it's safe to do for an extended amount of time.
I streamed 2 songs, surprisingly the artwork in one of them seemed to display flawlessly.

Such a bummer, in theory it's so perfect of a gift idea to me that was really thoughtful but it turned out this way.
The person that got it for me was a little irritated that it doesn't function as advertised, and I felt a bit saddened because I was very excited to live stream share it to some friends, especially to share it with the person that got it for me.

I've read through this whole thread, so I understand what's essentially wrong with the way the cart was put together.
I seriously wish I had the expertise to correct the issues it has... The thing is really sentimental to me, and I don't exactly want to just shelf it forever  :'(

Also, first post here   :-[
t120v8l16>eg>ecdg

Elrinth

March 26, 2016, 09:28:52 am #49 Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:42:44 am by Elrinth
the fact the game might bork your famicom makes me somewhat reluctant to buy one, but it looks like it features some really good music! :-[

fcgamer

I think every serious Famicom gamer should have at least one real machine and one decent clone in their collection.  It's the best way to play the software to the max.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

MWK

So true fcgamer.

8bit Music Power is back in stock again :bomb:
>> http://www.play-asia.com/8bit-music-power/13/709i8h

I've already ordered one and be sure I'll share my detailed experience once I grab it.

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

chowder

Yeah, wasn't it around $30 plus shipping originally?  Or maybe this includes shipping, I've not ordered from PlayAsia before.

It's either that or they've improved the cart.  Or they're covering previous/future RMAs ;)

Plep

March 28, 2016, 02:45:19 pm #54 Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:37:51 pm by Plep
If anyone is interested I have uploaded two videos of 8Bit Music Power to my YouTube.  One shows a demonstration of the game, where I go through all the menus, test out everything, and play all the minigames.  The other is a full rip of the album, where I let the cartridge just run idle as it cycles through all the music

Game Demonstration:
youtube/watch?v=5e0QdtXiMmc

Full Album:
youtube/watch?v=1oe5ygwg4wY

Was played on an AV Famicom and recorded using an HD PVR 2.  Works perfectly fine!  Haven't tested it on my RF Famicom although after seeing some negative experiences with some people I'm kind of weary to check now  :-[  Figured if anyone couldn't grab a copy or their copy doesn't work or any other reason, then my videos hopefully aim to emulate the "full experience" that the cartridge provides :)

Edit as of April 25th, 2016:
It seems Columbus Circle, the company responsible for this release has filed a nasty copyright strike on my channel, removing the two videos in the process and severely limiting my channel for 6 months.  Damn :(

Kveldulf

Quote from: muckyfingers on February 29, 2016, 04:14:42 am
I dumped the flash chips from my cart this weekend, the rom works fine on my Everdrive. I'm ordering the replacement 5v flash chips this week and hopefully I'll have a fully working, non overheating cartridge by next weekend.

Sorry to necro a thread on my first post here, but what did you use to dump the cart?  I've also got an Everdrive (Famicom version, not NES), so hopefully what worked for you will work for me.  My console does not like the 8bit Music Power cart, at all.

muckyfingers

Quote from: Kveldulf on April 14, 2016, 09:59:40 pm
Quote from: muckyfingers on February 29, 2016, 04:14:42 am

Sorry to necro a thread on my first post here, but what did you use to dump the cart?  I've also got an Everdrive (Famicom version, not NES), so hopefully what worked for you will work for me.  My console does not like the 8bit Music Power cart, at all.

I used a hot air station to remove the flash chips and a TopMax II Programmer to read back their contents.

Kveldulf

Quote from: muckyfingers on April 15, 2016, 01:35:47 am
Quote from: Kveldulf on April 14, 2016, 09:59:40 pm

I used a hot air station to remove the flash chips and a TopMax II Programmer to read back their contents.

Thanks for the quick reply!  To be honest, that sounds a bit beyond my capabilities and level of investment.  If that's what it takes to dump the cart, perhaps I'm better off just learning to solder and doing the Twitter fix that UglyJoe posted earlier in this thread.

BaconBitsKing

April 15, 2016, 01:48:37 pm #58 Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:56:45 pm by BaconBitsKing
Has anyone looked to see if new versions of the game have been improved? It seems to get taken down/put back online quite a bit.

EDIT: According to the website, it seems to be the same. It's also out of stock again.