[Homebrew] Lucky Penguin

Started by macbee, July 28, 2017, 07:30:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterDisk

Pretty sure you can can reach a wide audience for a 60pin release if you've got someone to distribute it in Japan.

L___E___T

March 09, 2018, 06:43:54 am #31 Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:56:47 am by L___E___T

I'd like to think so also, but my point is we shouldn't let the thread become a point of pressure for the team, it's for them to decide ;)
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

macbee

March 09, 2018, 08:02:56 pm #32 Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:23:54 pm by macbee
Quote from: Bry89 on March 09, 2018, 01:02:42 am
And seeing as you decided to make a physical release of it, how is it going to be distributed? I mean, be careful that the pirates don't get their hands on it ???

Emunes is taking care of production of cartridges.
I think they will be also sold by Emunes or Lukasz Kur (programmer and designer of the game) but I don't have full details yet (I'm not *directly* involved right now on this). Hope to have more news very soon.

Quote from: togemet2 on March 09, 2018, 01:56:59 am
Ahahaha. Love it. Especially the color of the shell.

I think I'll wait if a 60pin version ever comes around.  ;D

Thank you! I think this same blue color would fit well on a Famicom cart.

Quote from: fcgamer on March 09, 2018, 05:20:25 am
Do you mean that as in, (A) if sales are good you'll consider releasing a 60 pin version?

or

(B) If sales are poor, you'll consider releasing a 60 pin market in hopes of tapping into another market and boosting overall sales?

If sales are good.

No matter how I'd love to see a 60-pin cart (I really want to convert label, manual and box art to Famicom layouts) I can't lie: sales of this version will be fundamental to decide any future moves. I want to see variants of this game, ports, sequels and completely new homebrew games from our team - but one step at a time. We're not a company, it would be irresponsible of me to make promises that may never become reality.

Quote from: fcgamer on March 09, 2018, 05:20:25 amEither way, there seems to be a lot of folks here who would be interested in a Famicom release, but not necessarily the NES release of the game.  It doesn't seem like a great way to market this, personally.  

I can only announce what exists. And what exists right now is a 72-pin cart for the NES.

60-pin version would be very cool but right now it's only a dream. It may become reality or it may be a dream forever (I give many suggestions but don't have final word on anything since I'm not the publisher and it's not my money being invested to make the cartridges).
I don't even know right now if the publisher can make 60-pin carts or if someone else would have to make them for us.
But - once again - we'll consider other variants if there's enough interest on this software (if they'll happen is a completely different story)

Quote from: L___E___T on March 09, 2018, 06:15:12 am
I'm also keen to understand (especially if you decided not to release a 60-pin version) if you'd mind if I bought the 72-pin version and made a 60-pin from that for example hypothetically.

If you buy a cartridge I think you're free to do what you want with your copy. :)

Quote from: L___E___T on March 09, 2018, 06:15:12 amLet's please avoid make statements on the creator's wishes on how best to market their game, generally there's more demand for 72-pin physical NES releases than there are 60-pin.

Once again I give all sorts of suggestions but final word will always come from who's paying to make this into reality (and it's not me!).
Creator of the game is Lukasz Kur, publisher is Emunes and I'm the artist.

This is my first NES homebrew and I'm definitely not a salesman, so I'm sure that my marketing skills sucks indeed. :D

Quote from: L___E___T on March 09, 2018, 06:15:12 amBut that's a separate topic and 60-pin version or not there is a lot to celebrate about this work - all of the graphics and design are incredible, so congratulations on all of that again!

Thank you very much!

Quote from: MasterDisk on March 09, 2018, 06:36:55 am
Pretty sure you can can reach a wide audience for a 60pin release if you've got someone to distribute it in Japan.

Me and Lukasz want to see a Famicom release since we're very used to 60-pin carts where we live (Poland and Brazil).
Hope it becomes reality.

Quote from: L___E___T on March 09, 2018, 06:43:54 am
I'd like to think so also, but my point is we shouldn't let the thread become a point of pressure for M-Tee, it's for him and team to decide ;)

By the way, thanks to M-Tee for helping us providing precious materials to Lucky Penguin's manual!

L___E___T

I edited a bit of my last post to better reflect who made what for the game :)

I will buy a copy of the NES game I think, I'm very eager to see the game and the graphics magic.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

L___E___T

March 11, 2018, 03:53:04 am #34 Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:08:56 am by L___E___T

It's easier for NES as there are already small companies offering the service - but I think it's just as possible to create Famicom games in the same way - as long as you're willing to create a PCB and shell.  What would be great is if somewhere like Infinite NES Lives could also offer a Famicom service.  I wonder if they've been asked again recently or given it serious re-evaluation.  The retro demand is always growing.

What usually is the biggest obstacle are the economies of scale, small runs can quickly be very expensive.

Thinking about it, it's probably not massively removed from how an Everdrive gets made, they have to design and print their own (albeit very different) PCB and source the chips.

Post Merge: March 11, 2018, 04:08:56 am

Please excuse the double post - but I really want to buy the game and can't find a link to buy in this thread, or on NA, or even Google :(

Can you please update with a BUY link so that I can grab a copy?  I think I will get a Famicom version later too if one appears, but for now, I'll definitely support it in NES form.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

fcgamer

Quote from: togemet2 on March 11, 2018, 03:00:33 am
Actually, I've been wondering how exactly you can put your own games on Famicom carts. Is it even possible. I cant seem to find anything on it online.  :crazy:

This is very simple, no need to believe what people might say to the contrary.

#1.  See what mapper the game you want uses, and find a cartridge that uses the same mapper.
#2.  Buy said cartridge.
#3.  Solder ROMs containing the game you want onto the pcb, after removing the ROMs of the old game.
#4.  Voila, you have the game, on Famicom format

**OR**

#1.  Buy 72 pin version of the game.  Remove the PCB from the shell.
#2.  Buy a 72 pin to 60 pin adapter.
#3.  Put the NES PCB into the adapter, put the works into one of those "oversized" Famicom cartridges, so many choices to choose from, especially among cheap, junk, worthless bootlegs.
#4.  Voila, you have the game on Famicom format.

I made a video demonstrating both points, but with my better judgement decided against posting it as I think it would be a hotbed for criticism and arguments, due to some very "odd" ways of thinking over at Nintendo Age and the like.

A few more thoughts:

[Step "A"]
Back in 1998 or so, Chris Covell had made (imo) the first real NES homebrew game, Solar Wars,  Later he had posted how to make a cartridge containing his game, by using a donor board and what not, and for years afterwards, everyone was using donar boards and shells to make homebrew / repro NES cartridges.

[Step "B"]
In more recent times, NES homebrew / repro makers have been moving towards using new shells / PCBs / etc, and from what I have seen, there were many reasons for that, such as larger demand (i.e. larger print runs of homebrews), saves time / easier, doesn't destroy quality NES titles (some which were rarer), etc.  But up until recently, maybe the past five years or so, it was all just donor and reuse.

I am honestly quite disappointed with the unwillingness of so many people to put out a Famicom version of homebrew games, for those who want them.  I always hear things about new PCBs and shells and what not, but being someone who has watched the homebrew scene grow, from mostly tech demos that would only run properly in emulators, to Solar Wars, to Bomb Sweeper, to complex games, I sort of view it as wanting to go from nothing to "Step B", skipping the "Step A" stage totally.

There are so many cheap, high-quality Famicom bootlegs from the late 80s around, likewise there are so many cheap crappy licensed Famicom games, I'm sure there would be many homebrew games that could use such PCBs, breathing new life into games that are considered undesirable / garbage to many.  I believe with NES homebrew scene, Step B would have never been reached without Step A, since Step A helped to gauge what people really wanted, helped to gauge demand and helped people to see the market.

If the same ten people want Famicom versions of the game and are willing to pay a slight premium for the extra labor involved, then homebrew / indie studios could do it as fan service to those that want it, and leave it at that.  But if the option were available, and it started to grow in demand, then that would be when it would be appropriate to move to the Step B stage, actually print PCBs and manufacture new shells of a high quality, etc.  But to try to go to this stage from nothing, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Finally to add, as I've said before to many folks involved with making homebrews, I'd gladly help source PCBs / shells for small runs of homebrew games, (maybe 20 - 30 pieces), at cost, for exchange of one of the finished products.  Just would really like to see someone make it a reality.

@Mods, feel free to move this discussion wherever you see apropriate, or keep it here, I was just following up to the other member's question which is why I replied here to begin with.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

macbee

Quote from: L___E___T on March 11, 2018, 03:53:04 am
Please excuse the double post - but I really want to buy the game and can't find a link to buy in this thread, or on NA, or even Google :(

Can you please update with a BUY link so that I can grab a copy?  I think I will get a Famicom version later too if one appears, but for now, I'll definitely support it in NES form.

Hi! The game isn't on sale yet.
I don't know exactly when it's gonna happen - but as soon as I get news from publisher I'll let you know, OK?

Thanks for your interest! =)

L___E___T

Really?  I hadn't seen any purchase links but I found a whole longplay on YouTube so figured I must have missed it!!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

macbee

Quote from: L___E___T on March 12, 2018, 12:22:54 pm
Really?  I hadn't seen any purchase links but I found a whole longplay on YouTube so figured I must have missed it!!

The longplay is for demo! =D

L___E___T

I thought perhaps - but still, counting down the days to (Famicom) release! ;)
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

macbee

L___E___T

Gotta be honest I'm not feeling the auction approach.  I'd much rather just see a price and pay that.  I'll keep an eye on the thread but skipping for now.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

VegaVegas

April 16, 2018, 03:35:57 pm #42 Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 05:35:21 am by MaarioS
What do you expect, greedy scums from Brazil will try to take as much as they can

fcgamer

April 16, 2018, 05:05:34 pm #43 Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:34:39 pm by fcgamer
Quote from: MaarioS on April 16, 2018, 03:35:57 pm
What do you expect, greedy scums from Brazil will try to take as much as they can

come on man, your comments recently have been so negative and mean-spirited. The Catholic comment you made to me earlier, and now this one about Brazilians, sorry, but it's too much and imo doesn't belong on the forums.

to everyone else, this Is standard procedure in the nes homebrew scene, selling some limited carts first, at auction. I don't necessarily like this business model, but it's standard with this territory, so let's please refrain from passing too much judgement when this guy is following the norm.

Post Merge: April 16, 2018, 10:34:39 pm

Edit: 

First of all, it appears as I was wrong in my initial post and the auction is for all copies of the game, though the top fifteen are for limited / special versions. 

In the past on NA the standard was to  auction off the limited versions, and then sell the regular versions afterwards.  So the sale does differ a bit from the "standard" practice previously.

With that said, I don't think anyone is getting rich off of this game, and who knows, maybe another print run will be available later.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

macbee

Quote from: L___E___T on April 16, 2018, 02:51:46 pm
Gotta be honest I'm not feeling the auction approach.  I'd much rather just see a price and pay that.  I'll keep an eye on the thread but skipping for now.

Thanks for your opinion. This is a common practice for limited editions.

Quote from: MaarioS on April 16, 2018, 03:35:57 pm

This user deserved more than only 3 days for his xenophobia.
The irony is that other than the Brazilian guy (me!) all other people involved on this game (programmer and publisher) are from the same country of this user.

Quote from: fcgamer on April 16, 2018, 05:05:34 pm
With that said, I don't think anyone is getting rich off of this game,

Definitely not! :)
As I told Vice last month, I did this game to make a childhood dream (to make a NES game) come true. Money is on PC/mobile development, not in homebrewing.

Quote from: fcgamer on April 16, 2018, 05:05:34 pmand who knows, maybe another print run will be available later.

Lukasz, Emunes and me discussed this recently and there are no plans for future runs (including the 60-pin cart some people wanted here on this forums).