March 29, 2024, 07:30:26 am

Ninjara hoi question

Started by Xcursion666, November 17, 2018, 06:33:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Xcursion666

I have a question about the RPG ninjara hoi for Famicom. Why does every review or walkthrough of the game I've read say that an ASCII turbo file is required to save the game they say that there's no battery backup and your diary save lasts until you turn off the power . Ive played through the entire game and didn't need the turbo file once the in game diary held my save the whole time and after opening up the cart there is in fact a battery on the pcb. I went and blew 50 bucks on a turbo file only to find out I didn't need it :( why is this false info still out there

UglyJoe

Is that information really "all over"?  I see it over on the FAQ at GameFAQs, but maybe he just had a dead battery in his cart or something.

Regardless, good that you posted it here so that future gamers can see it and know the truth ;D

UglyJoe

Ah, here's the issue:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=18298.msg320305#msg320305

However I noticed that when playing the untranslated Japanese version of Ninja Rahoi! in Nestopia it was in fact creating an SRAM savefile, while the translated version did not.     I got a little suspicious so I checked BootGod's website and, sure enough, Ninja Rahoi! does indeed have a CR2032 battery and internal SRAM.   It turns out the iNES header in both the latest GoodNES and no-intro sets do not have the battery SRAM flag set.   The internal and external Nestopia XML databases do have Ninja Rahoi! listed as having SRAM and since we know Nestopia overrides the header if the database has an entry for a given ROM, and since the translated ROM's hash would not be present in the XML database this explains why the translated game wouldn't save while the original Japanese version would .   After enabling the SRAM flag in the iNES header I have been able to save in every emulator that I have tested.   

Xcursion666

Quote from: UglyJoe on November 18, 2018, 05:37:14 am
Ah, here's the issue:

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=18298.msg320305#msg320305

However I noticed that when playing the untranslated Japanese version of Ninja Rahoi! in Nestopia it was in fact creating an SRAM savefile, while the translated version did not.     I got a little suspicious so I checked BootGod's website and, sure enough, Ninja Rahoi! does indeed have a CR2032 battery and internal SRAM.   It turns out the iNES header in both the latest GoodNES and no-intro sets do not have the battery SRAM flag set.   The internal and external Nestopia XML databases do have Ninja Rahoi! listed as having SRAM and since we know Nestopia overrides the header if the database has an entry for a given ROM, and since the translated ROM's hash would not be present in the XML database this explains why the translated game wouldn't save while the original Japanese version would .   After enabling the SRAM flag in the iNES header I have been able to save in every emulator that I have tested.   

I wish I would have read that before I bought a turbo file :( I bought a Famicom copy with the EPROM swapped for the English translation and then read a review that said the tf was needed