FDS gives me Error 03 while attempting to save

Started by boye, January 20, 2019, 06:14:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

boye

Hello.

This is my first post.
I have had my FDS for a while now, and ever since I got it, whenever I try to save, the FDS just gives me Error 03. (The motor does not even spin up.)
Thanks for any help you can give me!  :)
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

80sFREAK

LOL Second line in the local search
QuoteErr.03: Disk is write-protected.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

boye

Quote from: 80sFREAK on January 20, 2019, 08:35:41 am
LOL Second line in the local search
QuoteErr.03: Disk is write-protected.

It happens with both of my disks, so it's probably the system.
Is there any more technical assistance you can give me?
(And yes, I know what Error 03 means.)
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

80sFREAK

January 20, 2019, 09:21:16 am #3 Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:26:18 am by 80sFREAK
I have no idea, if your disks still have "disk protection tongues". Lets start from this point.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

boye

January 20, 2019, 12:00:20 pm #4 Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:19:43 am by boye
Quote from: 80sFREAK on January 20, 2019, 09:21:16 am
I have no idea, if your disks still have "disk protection tongues". Lets start from this point.

Disk protection tounges?
My two disks are both official yellow disks (the kind without the shutter) if that helps.

P

Are any of those little plastic tabs ("tongues") covering the holes in the corner of the disk (as you can see in the picture) snapped off on your disks? If so the disk is probably write protected. In that case you can probably put a peace of tape over the hole to make it writeable again.

boye

January 21, 2019, 01:39:14 pm #6 Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:14:45 pm by boye
Do you mean the hole next to the spindle?
Can I use normal Scotch tape to patch it up?

P

No not that. That's apparently for clamping the spindle.

I'm talking about these tabs in the corners. I'd guess it's one tab of each disk side (I have never tried breaking one off, but it's the same for other media).

The disk drive tries to insert a bar or something into these holes, and if they are blocked physically by the tab (or by tape) the write protection is inactive, and the drive can write to the disk like normal. But if there is a hole write protection is active and writing to the disk (which is required to save in games) will be impossible.

And yes you can probably use any tape as long as it's physically blocked.

zmaster18

This issue is sometimes not able to be fixed by tape. Some disks, even when these tabs are still intact, just won't re-write due to the disk being faulty.

I had a disk with the tab punched out and I tried pressing the corresponding switch in the drive with my finger and it still wouldn't write. It's quite a mysterious switch :)

I recommend just getting a new disk, some disks will just get faulty and will be unable to be re-written.

boye

January 22, 2019, 04:45:30 am #9 Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:34:42 am by boye
Quote from: P on January 22, 2019, 02:57:54 am
No not that. That's apparently for clamping the spindle.

I'm talking about these tabs in the corners. I'd guess it's one tab of each disk side (I have never tried breaking one off, but it's the same for other media).

The disk drive tries to insert a bar or something into these holes, and if they are blocked physically by the tab (or by tape) the write protection is inactive, and the drive can write to the disk like normal. But if there is a hole write protection is active and writing to the disk (which is required to save in games) will be impossible.

And yes you can probably use any tape as long as it's physically blocked.

Thanks, P. I will try that.  :)

Also, is there any way to completely bypass the write protection scheme altogether?
Update: Sadly, it doesen't work on either of my disks..  :'(
It immediately switches to the error when I attempt to save or flip the disk over to save, if that helps.
Update: Both of my disks do not have any visible signs of snapping off.

80sFREAK

Thanks, P, for the "fixed" image :)
zmaster18, there is no mystery, but switches in the drive sometimes could play tricks. For example do not flip, when cold. Also there might be some oxidation in the "write protection switch".

boye

January 22, 2019, 07:52:13 am #11 Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 04:18:31 pm by boye
Quote from: 80sFREAK on January 22, 2019, 06:42:05 am
zmaster18, there is no mystery, but switches in the drive sometimes could play tricks. For example do not flip, when cold. Also there might be some oxidation in the "write protection switch".

Huh. Well, thanks for posting that!  :)
Also, how does the write protection work?
Is there some sort of lever?

P

January 23, 2019, 11:16:47 am #12 Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 11:30:44 am by P
Yeah there's supposedly a physical switch (that Zmaster pressed with his finger by dissembling the disk drive). It probably drops down in the hole if there are no tabs (or tape) there to block it. You may want to check it so it doesn't get stuck or has oxidation on the pins on the board like 80sFREAK said.

And no I don't think you can bypass the write protection without modifying the drive. The tabs are breakable so that you can protect the data of important disks forever (same as on video/audio/data cassette tapes for example). Though for FDS games, I guess there is really no reason to write protect disks if you want them to be playable. Maybe if you have a sealed disk that you want to dump and not risking anyone booting it up and consequently writing to it.

Quote from: 80sFREAK on January 22, 2019, 06:42:05 am
Thanks, P, for the "fixed" image :)

No problem! Mad photoshop skills! (Just kidding I used paint.)

boye

bump

Thanks for all your help! Sadly, it still would not work, even with cardboard in the slots. Thankfully, the cardboard did not fall into the Disk System.  :)

boye

March 31, 2019, 04:42:59 pm #14 Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 06:57:40 am by boye
bump
I'm thinking about cleaning the switch sometime.
Or maybe a smack should work.  ;D
EDIT: It was fixed by taping the switch down. For whatever reason, the switch was not being pushed down by the disk, even though it was not write protected. :D