Famiclone "Character" Art

Started by umjammercammy, May 17, 2019, 03:06:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

umjammercammy

Here's some art I did based on different "characters" related to Famicom piracy:

On a related note, if anyone has one of those Dr. Mario bootlegs with the anime lady on it that they're willing to sell, please let me know.   :)

FAMICOM_87

very cool art!  8) :o I know  only Dendy elephant and Micro Genius boy , can you show me from where are the other characters :):question:

adori_12

Really nice! Where does the lady come from?
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

umjammercammy

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on May 17, 2019, 06:16:28 pm
very cool art!  8) :o I know  only Dendy elephant and Micro Genius boy , can you show me from where are the other characters :):question:

Quote from: adori_12 on May 17, 2019, 07:08:37 pm
Really nice! Where does the lady come from?

The other characters are the Hacker International "disk head" guy (who shows up in some print ads they did), the Game Doctor kid, the Wizard Blooper that appears on famiclone Mario 3 cartridges, and the anime lady who shows up on famiclone Dr. Mario cartridges.  :)

adori_12

I've always loved how random and out of place pirate labels' characters can be.
Sometimes it's simply a scan of the original label, or a recreation of it, other times it's a character body with some other random guy's face on it (like SMW's Peach-headed Mario) or even including characters from random media out there, or, the best case of all, featuring brand new mascots.
But still, what would make pirates want to do that kind of stuff? Is it to avoid copyright rules, or it's just their way to express creativeness?  ::)
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

umjammercammy

Quote from: adori_12 on May 17, 2019, 10:35:53 pm
Sometimes it's simply a scan of the original label, or a recreation of it, other times it's a character body with some other random guy's face on it (like SMW's Peach-headed Mario) or even including characters from random media out there, or, the best case of all, featuring brand new mascots.
But still, what would make pirates want to do that kind of stuff? Is it to avoid copyright rules, or it's just their way to express creativeness?  ::)

A lot of the cut-and-paste style labels are like "collage art". The choices are all weird and hard to understand, but it's always still very cool. I think one of my favorite cart label designs is for clone carts of Ducktales, where they sometimes use photos of actual ducks.  :)

My absolute favorites are usually the labels that include original art, especially for Mario bootlegs, or that one TMNT bootleg with the label that uses original designs and has all the turtles wearing sunglasses. The idea that an actual artist designed and illustrated the labels really intrigues me.

L___E___T

Love your artwork - what's so special about the lady Dr. Mario cart though?
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

umjammercammy

Quote from: L___E___T on May 18, 2019, 05:35:45 am

Love your artwork - what's so special about the lady Dr. Mario cart though?

Not much, honestly. I just think the design is cute, altho I'm not sure what it's from. I love the 80s manga style.

adori_12

Quote from: umjammercammy on May 18, 2019, 05:12:07 am
Quote from: adori_12 on May 17, 2019, 10:35:53 pm

I think one of my favorite cart label designs is for clone carts of Ducktales, where they sometimes use photos of actual ducks.  :)

Oh, you mean like the one AVGN showed on one of his videos? That's the pirate randomness I love  ;D