Zelda disk not working after I try to load Castlevania disk

Started by boye, July 14, 2020, 10:50:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

boye

My Zelda disk was working like a charm, until i tried to load Castlevania. Then the Zelda disk just threw out Error 22. Does anybody know why this might happen?
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

P

boye

Sorry for the late reply, but how could a disk throw off alignment?
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

P

I don't know if it could, but I believe the finickiness of the mechanism just shows its ugly face at unexpected times. You were probably just lucky to be able to load Castlevania, then unlucky with Zelda.

I'm not the right person to answer how to adjust it so that it always reads every disk.

boye

Again, late reply, but has anyone else had issues where a disk could cause an entire drive to crap out?
Edit: You can't make it out very well on camera, but I just noticed this darker ring of sorts on the disk. IS ths a bad sign?

P

Well if the disk is dirty, I guess it could make the head dirty, so you might want to clean both the head and the disk.

boye

P

I suppose 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs. Be careful with the disk though.

boye

Update: (Sorry for the necrobump) but this may be caused by my aptop's magnets corrupting the disk.

adori_12

Are you sure? From what I've heard, regular magnets like the ones on electronics don't really harm disks that much under regular circumstances. Unless you've had your disks sitting next to your laptop for several years, I don't think your laptop's magnets are strong enough to spontaneously corrupt a disk like that, specially since you said it used to work well.

What I think it's happening is that your FDS is just very unreliable. The disk doesn't even look that bad, most of my disks have dark rings on them too.

The only thing I can recommend is to realign your drive, but as you might already know it's really difficult to get it to work like that, and I don't think there's an universal sweet spot for all drives to work with all disks, just trial and error until your drive seems to read all your disks.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

boye

Thank you. Hopefully my drive will accept my disk, or my drive can rewrite disks.
Or maybe I should swap the drive with another FDS drive?

adori_12

If your FDS gives you that much trouble, I would definitely consider buying another one. Disk Systems aren't ludicrously expensive, so starting all over with a new unit might be the best option (and by that I mean getting a whole new system, not just parts of it).
Mine hasn't thrown a single error since I bought it (except for Err.2 which has more to do with my crappy power supply), you can still get beautifully working Disk Systems out there.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

boye

The thing is, I'm using a twin famicom, and I still want a working internal drive.

adori_12

If that's the case then getting a working drive is better. Making the current one on your Twin Famicom work is trial and error as I said, and I unfortunately can't help you with that.

boye