April 24, 2024, 11:03:13 am

Broken PS1

Started by adori_12, August 13, 2020, 08:40:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

adori_12

I recently found a fat PS1 at a flea market for very cheap, and as you'd expect it doesn't work. The unit powers on and displays video but not audio, and the console gets stuck at the white Sony Computer Entertainment splash screen. The discs also never spin.
Does anyone know if it can be fixed or I'm better off selling the console for parts?  :-\
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

L___E___T

What model is it? You could use it as a donor for the Xstation ODE perhaps.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

adori_12

It's a 7501 unit. Is that one good?
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

P

750x (the final "1" means North American region) is the latest model that still has the parallel port. It's late enough to have things like Sound Scope, while it isn't missing all the things that the later 9000 and PSOne are (the PSOne is missing both the parallel and the serial port), and it doesn't have the plastic laser problems that 5000 and earlier models has, so yeah it's a pretty good model, I have a 7500 myself. I don't know which model is best, but at least the 700x and the 750x are the most feature-rich models from a user's perspective (not counting the unusual and Asian exclusive model 5903 which has Video-CD support).

It's a shame you can't get it to work though. I have no idea what goes wrong with these babies, except for the laser of course, and the middle housing of the spindle which sometimes breaks so the small metal balls pops out, and you have to glue it together again.
I suggest to google a bit. It's not a rare model or anything, but with any luck the fix might be easy.

adori_12

So that's why my main PS1 doesn't have a parallel port. It's a 900(1) unit.
So I googled it and I found a list of blown fuses and their consequences, so maybe that's the issue. It's kinda vague though so I don't exactly know if replacing some fuses will work.
By the way, I don't think it makes a difference but this unit was officially refurbished by Sony, it has a sticker saying so on the bottom.

L___E___T

7XXX is a great model, the sought after one, with the parallel port possibilities, but least issues.

PS1 fuse is very easy to replace and a cheap part - I'm sure you can find a guide online to try out.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Yeah, although I don't know if the 7xxx models are better than the 550x models (other than the fact that they have the Sound Scope feature for the audio CD player). According to Wikipedia, the last model with the plastic laser problem is the Japanese 500x (so the 5000 has the problem but not the American 5001), so anything between 5001 and 750x are great models. Most differences between them are cost-reducing measures that probably means little to the user today. Newer hopefully means more reliable though.

It's also very easy to test if the fuse is blown or not with a multimeter. Just do a continuity test over it (tutorials are everywhere on the internet).

adori_12

Alright, I'll open it up and see what's going on, and inform you the results.
Thank you guys!  :D